With stretch marks, it is really important to start your treatment as soon as possible. Most of the good stretch mark removal creams can heal new striae almost 100% while even the best stretch mark creams will mostly fade old stretch marks but not be able to fully recover the skin.
Prevention is also very important. If you are in a period of gaining weight or pregnancy or in a period with hormonal disbalance you should apply a stretch mark prevention cream to hydrate the skin and allow the formation of collagen and skin regeneration.
We made a research on the most effective stretch mark removal and prevention creams based on their ingredients, patient reviews and dermatologist recommendations.
Table of Contents
- 1 Which is the best stretch mark removal cream?
- 2 Which is the most effective stretch mark cream during pregnancy?
- 3 Are stretch mark removal creams safe during pregnancy?
- 4 Which is a good stretch mark cream for old striae?
- 5 Frequently asked questions
Which is the best stretch mark removal cream?
Mederma Stretch Marks Cream
- A stretch mark removal cream, proven to prevent and reduce the imperfections
- Intensive effect and visible results within 12 weeks of stretch mark treatment
- Safe to use during pregnancy
- Enriched with Cepalin, Hyaluronic acid, Centella Asiatica and other plant extracts
Mederma offers various formulas for the management of skin imperfections. The brand uses proven ingredient combinations – and their stretch mark removal cream is not an exception.
Mederma Stretch Marks Therapy is clinically proven, paraben-free, safe for pregnant and breastfeeding women. This is one of the most effective stretch mark creams if we consider the product reputation and post-treatment feedback received by those who used it.
The product combines the following ingredients, all of which are tested and clinically proven effective in the stretch marks treatment:
- Dimethicone (as an active ingredient – a silicone-based lubricating agent, providing deep skin hydration)
- Cepalin – a natural extract, proven to improve stretch marks texture, color and appearance
- Hyaluronic acid – promotes skin regeneration; insufficient levels of hyaluronic acid in the skin lead to faster degradation
- Centella Asiatica plant – proven to improve the treatment of small wounds, hypertrophic wounds as well as burns, psoriasis, and scleroderma; increases the collagen production
Clinical tests show that 72% of women, who used Mederma stretch mark removal cream for 12 weeks saw visible improvements in their striae. The formula is indeed effective for the removal of the newly formed stretch marks.
Is Mederma effective for the treatment of old stretch marks?
If you have older stretch marks you would like to treat, you will need a prolonged period of topical application. You might be happy to hear that Mederma is considered the most promising stretch mark removal cream for old stretch marks, according to dozens of women.
Women with older stretch marks saw improvements in the color, texture, and sizes of their imperfections – the striae became lighter, smoother and visibly diminished.
Unfortunately, old stretch marks are harder to treat, sometimes it may take more than 2 months until you start seeing results.
Deux Derme Stretch Mark Intensive Cream
- Scientifically proven effect of the ingredients
- Considerably effective stretch mark cream that is safe for pregnant and nursing women
- Reduces the appearance of stretch marks and the discomfort, associated with them
Deux Derme stretch mark removal cream aims to combat the embarrassing striae thanks to plant-derived extracts and no harmful chemicals, unlike most similar products you can find.
Additionally, this is the only stretch mark cream, providing so reliable results – women who tried it saw a visible effect on the treated area within short periods of time:
- Skin discolorations faded, making the striae less visible
- Existing stretch marks diminished in sizes
- The skin on the belly and thighs became more supple
The above statements are written by women who applied Deux Derme stretch mark removal cream on a daily basis, morning and before bedtime. According to multiple reviewers, the first visible results can be obtained within 2 months.
We also received the Success story of one of our readers, who decided to stay anonymous. She believes Deux Derme is the only anti-stretch mark cream, providing real improvement, as she has tried many other products with little to no success. This formula managed to successfully reducd the appearance of years old striae (you can see the comment in the detailed review below).
- Suitable for both stretch mark removal and scar removal
- Clinically proven to reduce the appearance of stretch marks for less than 2 months
- Deeply penetrating, highly concentrated formula
Since we at SkinPractice consider customer feedback extremely important for the overall performance of a particular skincare product, we decided to show you PRI DermaRESTORE, a topical stretch mark removal cream with a very promising reputation all over the Internet.
This anti-stretch mark cream is safe for pregnant and nursing women, it is reported effective for both newly formed and older stretch marks.
PRI DermaRESTORE is an allergen-free, highly concentrated product, containing essential oils, vitamins, and plant extracts.
The company manufacturer conducted an independent clinical and scientific testing, according to which PRI DermaRESTORE successfully reduced the appearance of stretch marks in women in less than 2 months.
This stretch mark removal cream should be applied 2 times a day (in order to get optimal results). You won’t need a derma roller for applying – just massage it into the already affected areas or those, that may develop stretch marks in the future as a prevention. Remember to let the substance absorb well into the skin.
PRI DermaRESTORE can be used by both men and women, there are lots of stretch mark reviews and pictures, showing the positive results of this treatment:
Note that if your stretch marks are years old, they won’t be completely removed. Advertisers promise miracle results, most of the manufacturers will tell you this is the most effective cream for stretch marks and it will completely remove them but don’t be fooled – older stretch marks cannot magically disappear. PRI DermaRESTORE will make them less noticeable (they will fade in color and diminish in size).
An important aspect of PriDermarestore stretch mark cream is the treatment period – most patients with older striae started seeing results after 3 months of application, so you will need to be patient and persistent before you get the desired effect. Newly formed stretch marks usually take up to 6 weeks and, luckily, they are usually 100% removed.
Body Merry Stretch Marks Cream
- Reduces and prevents the appearance of stretch marks and scars
- Uses high quality, natural ingredients
- Contains vitamins, plant stem cells, seaweed, and rich oils
- A single jar is sufficient for a prolonged application
You may have heard of Body Merry brand – this is an online boutique, offering budget-friendly skincare solutions. This anti-stretch mark cream is often defined as the good options out there, based on the price-quality ratio. Here’s why:
- The customized blend is formed to deliver deep hydration, while it soothes the rough skin
- The unscented butter provides vitamins, plant stem cells, seaweed, antioxidants, and rich oils, providing an additional guarantee for a more intensive effect
- This body butter can be easily applied to the skin, without leaving residue or a sticky sensation from this stretch mark cream
- It is suitable for all skin types and is cruelty-free
- The price of Body Merry Cream is very affordable
- Although we at SkinPractice do not rank it as the most effective stretch mark cream, we do admit the ratio price-quality is worth it
Patients say there is also a 30-day money back guarantee – in case you are not satisfied with your results, you can return the item purchased and get a refund.
People also comment that Body Merry Stretch Mark Cream promotes skin elasticity, so the formula is highly recommended for pregnant women, who are undergoing excessive weight gain.
Body Merry stretch mark removal appears to have a great effect on new stretch marks – many people claim to have obtained impressive results:
A downside of the Body Merry’s stretch mark removal cream is that it does not seem as effective for the reduction of old stretch marks. Comments say that they do appear lighter and smoother but are still existent. The below picture shows the way white stretch marks on the stomach improved and diminished in sizes:
StriVectin Stretch mark removal
- A potent formula using high-quality ingredients
- An effective stretch mark removal cream
- Significantly diminishes the number, length, and depth of lines and wrinkles
- Contains Collagex-CE, proven to restore the damaged skin
- Clinically proven to provide a visible improvement in the skin texture and color
It is true that we have higher expectations for the more expensive skincare products. It is also true that such formulas should provide more visible results in a shorter period of time. And this stretch mark cream really does, this is why we decided to show it in this anti-stretch mark guide.
StriVectin is a powerful collagen hydrating complex, aiming to diminish the number, length, and depth of both striae and wrinkles.
StriVectin will actually change the texture and tone of your skin. According to the comments available, this effect will follow in less than 3-4 months.
This stretch mark removal cream received positive feedback from many women who managed to regain their confidence:
I had excessive stretch marks that left me too self conscious to wear shorts for a long time, but after 8 weeks of using this cream they’re much less prominent and have me feeling confident about my legs again
The anti-stretch mark cream is very potent, it provided a beneficial effect for deep scar formations as well, due to the collagen complex, aiming to restore the damaged tissue. The same was its’ effect on striae, that’s why StriVectin is one of th better stretch mark creams.
In fact, most people are using StriVectin for the management of fine lines and wrinkles, which is the main purpose of this formula. Generally, people are satisfied with the effect of the treatment but there are certain aspects we consider really disturbing:
- The significantly higher price
- The number of people who are not happy with the product received and/or the results obtained
So, keep these things in mind before you proceed to purchase!
TriLASTIN Stretch Mark Mangement
- Effective results in the prevention of striae during pregnancy
- Improves skin resilience and elasticity
- Safe, hypoallergenic, PH Balanced 6.0 stretch mark cream that works
TriLASTIN is an anti-stretch mark cream, getting more and more attention from the beauty industry, due to the potential beneficial effect in striae reduction and prevention.
TriLastin stretch mark cream reviews say this is one of the most reliable options during pregnancy but is it really effective?
According to those who purchased TriLastin and then shared their experience, the formula provides a deep nourishing effect and moisturizes the skin for a prolonged period of time. Most women who religiously applied the stretch mark cream during their pregnancies, report they did not get any striae. This is a And this is a very important aspect when it comes to stretch mark creams – the formula should both prevent the potential and eliminate the existing problem.
TriLASTIN Stretch Mark Cream is safe for both pregnant and nursing women, it is paraben-free and contains natural oils and plant extracts only. It can be used for prevention of stretch marks too during pregnancy or gaining weight.
It is easily spread and absorbed by the skin, it won’t leave a sticky residue. Comments say it leaves a very pleasant smell after application. Most women who tried it wrote extremely positive reviews – there are even people who saw improvements in years old stretch marks.
However, we recommend this formula mostly for the prevention of striae during pregnancy because of the rich content providing deep skin hydration and promoting skin elasticity.
TriLastin stretch mark cream is 100% safe, hypoallergenic and is cheaper, compared to other formulas, serving similar purposes. Usually, products, aiming to prevent the appearance of striaes cost more than $50 and this is a lot, having that such formulas should be applied for months.
There is only one negative comment (out of 50+) saying that TriLASTIN Cream did not meet the expectations of a woman, who is six months pregnant and lots of stretch marks appeared on her stomach despite the regular application of the cream.
- Claimed to be an effective stretch mark removal oil, improving skin texture
- Easily applied and absorbed by the skin
- Clinically proven results
An article from 2016, published by the US National Library of Science announced that so far, Bio-Oil is the most commonly used product for the treatment and the prevention of stretch marks. But can it perform better than a good stretch mark removal cream?
Bio-Oil is formulated with hypoallergenic ingredients, it is suitable for all skin types. The anti-stretch mark oil is a mix of mineral oil, rosemary, chamomile, lavender, calendula oil, it is also packed with vitamin A and vitamin E.
All of these have proven moisturizing, antioxidant and healing properties, they are shown to reduce skin damage and inflammation.
If you would like to prevent the development of stretch marks, Bio-Oil will be a very suitable option due to the following reasons:
- This stretch mark removal oil is transparent, so you can apply it everywhere on your skin, as often as you like
- It is easily absorbed, so it will not leave a greasy residue on the skin
- Bio-Oil is a very affordable option, having that products, developed for both prevention and stretch mark removal usually cost more than $30
Still, if your target is to eliminate already existing stretch marks, you shouldn’t expect immediate or miracle results. Bio-Oil will only lighten and minimize the older striae, which will improve their appearance, but they will not disappear completely. So, be realistic in your expectations!
Reviews report that Bio-Oil provides a strong moisturizing effect on the skin and, according to people who tried it, it does not clog the pores.
This streth mark oil comes in different sized bottles, so you can choose the quantity, according to your needs and the sizes of the areas affected. It is also important to note that for each application, you will need just a couple of drops, so a single bottle will be enough for a prolonged period of time.
To add some inspiration, we decided to show you 2 photos of a woman who gained 50 pounds throughout her pregnancy. She regularly applied Bio-Oil (two times a day), and no stretch marks formed on her skin. She believes Bio-Oil is among the most effective stretch mark treatments for expecting women.
Stretch Marks Cream By Sieva
- Restores the damaged skin within a short period of time
- Uses Collagen fix technology, which helps reduce discoloration and improves restoration of skin elasticity
- Provides a deep, long-lasting moisturizing effect
This stretch mark removal cream by Sieva is not one of the most popular options available on the web.
We decided to add this anti-stretch marks formula because it contains mostly natural ingredients with proven beneficial (healing and regenerating) properties when applied topically. The rich, powerful, yet natural content is a very important aspect of any stretch mark removal cream.
Having the customer reviews available, you can certainly rely on this Sieva stretch mark cream if you have just developed striae (they should still be pinkish or reddish in color). However, the anti-stretch mark cream seems to be less effective for the reduction of older formations.
Which is the most effective stretch mark cream during pregnancy?
The 100% safe one. Manufacturers usually note whether a particular stretch mark prevention cream is safe for application during pregnancy. A good stretch mark cream for expecting women is the one, containing natural and nourishing butter, proven to improve the skin elasticity.
Anti-stretch mark formulas are usually prepared from shea, cocoa, coconut or natural ingredients, such as vitamin E or Glycerin. The main goal is to prevent the formation of striae, not to treat the already existing damage.
We recommend for stretch mark prevention these creams:
Are stretch mark removal creams safe during pregnancy?
Some of them, yes. But you should carefully check every single ingredient in the anti-stretch mark product you intend to use. Here’s a list of the widely used ingredients in common stretch mark removal creams pregnant women should avoid:
- Retinol (vitamin A in its whole molecule form– the ingredient fights acne and improves the overall skin health; fights against wrinkle formation; side effects associated with topical vitamin A are local skin reactions, such as redness, peeling, dryness, itching, and burning)
- Parabens are a class of chemicals widely used as preservatives in the cosmetics and pharmaceuticals industries. Parabens are effective preservatives and are involved in many formulas. These compounds and their salts are mainly used for their bactericidal and fungicidal properties. They can be found in shampoos, moisturizers, shaving gels, lubricants, makeup, and a wide variety of toothpaste. They are also used as food supplements
- Essential oils oil is a concentrated hydrophobic liquid containing volatile aromatic compounds from plants. Essential oils are also known as volatile oils or simply as vegetable oils of the plant from which they are extracted, such as tea tree oil. They carry the distinctive aroma of the plant and may provoke severe allergic reactions to people with more sensitive skin
These stretch mark removal creams are safe for use during pregnancy:
Which is a good stretch mark cream for old striae?
For older marks, we recommend products, designed for the treatment of both stretch marks and scars. Since the stretch marks are types of scars and their formation is due to the breakage of elastic and collagen fibers in the skin. The main reason for the appearance of stretch marks is related to hormonal factors.
The production of the dermal fibers is influenced by the hormone cortisol, whose excess quantity suppresses the production of collagen and elastin. During pregnancy, puberty or other hormonal changes, cortisol is overproduced, which leads to a weakening of the fiber network and the reduction its resistance. This way, the skin becomes less elastic and fragile, prone to dehydration and drying.
So, the most effective stretch mark removal creams for old striae are the formulas stimulating the production of collagen, while providing a deep moisturizing effect.
- Clinically developed to provide fast and visible results
- Suitable for newer and older striae
- An effective cream to get rid of stretch marks
Frequently asked questions
When to start using a stretch marks cream during pregnancy?
As early as possible. Timely prevention is the most important step if you don’t want to have pregnancy stretch marks. If you do moisturize the areas, where striae are likely to develop (they usually appear on the belly, breasts, hips, and thighs), chances you successfully prevent their appearance are really high. So start using a stretch mark prevention cream as early as possible.
Keeping your skin well hydrated and soft will improve your skin elasticity. Of course, genetics also play a major role when it comes to the development of stretch marks but if you regularly apply a moisturizing product (there are various options, including stretch mark creams, lotions, and homemade ointments) you will have minimal skin damage, following the accumulated weight.
Additionally, knowing where and how to find reliable stretch mark removal cream can play a major role in case your skin is prone to developing striae. Carefully check the ingredients, the reviews, written by other people and check for clinical trials (if available) proving the positive effect of a particular stretch mark removal cream.
But wait there’s more! The way you apply your anti-stretch mark cream is also important. The best you can do for your skin is to massage the product you purchased, so that the blood flow in the area increases, while the tension reduces.
Gentle, yet deep massage will additionally improve your skin elasticity.
Gently massage the skin with spiral movements. Apply circle movements around the navel, which are followed by spiral movements again. Massage the area around your chest in the same way.
It is extremely important for all massage movements to be carried out smoothly, without pressure. Massage the skin 10-15 minutes a day with the stretch mark cream. It’s really worth taking care of your body during pregnancy because the recovery afterward can be difficult.
We have also found multiple comments, written by pregnant women, who used Bio Oil during their entire pregnancy. We have added this information because Bio Oil is claimed to be one of those reliable anti-stretch mark options on the market:
However, we at SkinPractice do not recommend it as it contains allergens that may have a harmful effect on you and the baby. It also contains retinyl palmitate, which is a form of vitamin A, but opinions vary on this particular form’s safety during pregnancy.
Many women prefer using products, which are specially designed for the prevention of pregnancy stretch marks, as they are proven safe and have no side effects on the unborn. Trilastin is one of these options, containing 15 botanical oils and extracts, and enriched with antioxidants and essential fatty acids. Many women swear by TriLastin stretch mark removal cream, claiming they did not develop any striae even after the third trimester.
- STRETCH MARK PREVENTION CREAM - Helps improve skin resilience and elasticity to prevent stretch...
- SIMPLE YET EFFECTIVE - Utilizing essential oils, this cream helps prevent stretch marks from...
- HELPS RELIEVE ITCHY SKIN - Safe, hypoallergenic, pH Balanced 6.0 Formula that soothes, hydrates,...
What are the active ingredients in a stretch mark removal cream?
- Glycolic Acid (powerful anti-aging skin care ingredient, exfoliating agent; may provoke skin irritation)
- Retinyl palmitate (gentler, milder form of vitamin A – the ingredient fights acne and improves the overall skin health; fights against wrinkle formation; side effects associated with topical vitamin A are local skin reactions, such as redness, peeling, dryness, itching, and burning)
- Aloe Vera is present in a lot of stretch mark creams (has a soothing, anti-inflammatory and healing effect on the oral mucosa; it is considered a safe ingredient)
- Vitamin E (a natural skin-conditioning agent with strong moisturizing properties, and powerful antioxidant effect)
- Cocoa Butter (strong moisturizing effect; prevents skin dryness and peeling)
- Coconut oil (has a proven softening effect on the skin surface)
- Shea Butter is also present in many stretch mark removal creams (provides softening and moisturizing effect)
When and how to apply stretch marks creams?
Stretch mark removal creams should be applied at least twice a day, so they can provide optimal results. We recommend applying stretch mark creams in the morning and before bedtime.
The more important is how to apply them. Since the skin imperfections are scar formations, they will require some efforts, persistence, and patience. Which means you will have to spend at least 5 minutes a day (twice a day) performing a gentle massage on the affected area, so to improve the blood flow and help your stretch mark removal cream penetrate deeply into the skin.
Is it normal for teens to get stretch marks?
How to prevent stretch marks?
The prevention of stretch marks depends on multiple factors. Basically, it depends on your lifestyle.
The best way to prevent the appearance of stretch marks is to always moisturize your skin and use a stretch mark prevention cream. The skin surface should be well hydrated all day, every day and this refers to internal hydration as well.
Your skin will sure look better if you drink sufficient amounts of water every day. The nutrition it receives is also important – eating healthy, rich foods will guarantee you a radiant, youthful appearance.
Some good preventative ointments, products or homemade recipes contain the following ingredients: cocoa butter, coconut oil, aloe vera, shea butter, lard, and other, yet less effective ingredients. They are found everywhere over the counter and online.
Everyone's skin is unique, and even if you have chosen the best product for your skin condition, the containing ingredients may still cause some irritation, burning sensation, rash or allergy.
Last update on 2019-01-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API