Dermatologically tested anti-stretch mark products
There are a lot of different products on the market claiming to prevent and even entirely remove stretch marks.
The truth is that most of the medical websites affirm that prevention is not possible. Each skin type is different and it depends on skin’ elasticity whether or not one will get stretch marks.
The general advice for preventing stretch marks is to always keep skin moisturized enough.
About these stretch marks that already appeared on the skin, there are various creams and lotions that you can buy.
But after thorough research and checking consumers’ reviews, it turned out that only a couple of them have a positive effect on the skin such as visible shrinking of the stretch marks or their complete disappearance.
As expected, most of the comments on the Internet are written by pregnant women or post pregnancy but there are also reviews from people who have gained/lost a lot of weight or those of us who have suffered from this problem for years and just decided that it is time for a change.
Here are the products that worked for most people, we also added positive and negative reviews regarding each of these items, including full ingredients lists and their potential effects on the skin, in-depth analysis and price information:
Table of Contents
- 0.1 Deux Derme Stretch Mark Intensive Cream
- 0.2 PRI DermaRESTORE
- 0.3 Stretch Marks & Scars Defense
- 0.4 Mederma
- 0.5 StriVectin SD Advanced Intensive Concentrate
- 0.6 TriLASTIN
- 0.7 Bio-Oil
- 0.8 Stretch Marks & Scars Cream
- 1 Which is the best lotion to remove stretch marks
- 2 Which is the best stretch mark cream during pregnancy?
- 3 Are stretch marks removal creams safe during pregnancy?
- 4 Which is the best stretch marks removal cream for old stretch marks?
- 5 Frequently asked questions
- 5.1 When to start using a stretch marks cream during pregnancy?
- 5.2 What are the active ingredients in a stretch mark removal cream?
- 5.3 When and how to apply stretch marks creams?
- 5.4 What are other types of stretch marks treatment?
- 5.5 Is it normal for teens to get stretch marks?
- 5.6 What is the best stretch marks prevention?
Deux Derme Stretch Mark Intensive Cream
With Vitamin E, Shea, Cocoa Butter for Pregnancy, Weight Gain
- Scientifically proven effective
- Safe for pregnant or nursing women
- Reduces the appearance of stretch marks and the discomfort, associated with them
Is your skin affected by stretch marks? Do you feel embarrassed about them? Have you tried dozens of formulas, providing little to no success?
Do you know someone who ‘successfully eliminated her stretch marks, thanks to this or that cream’? No? Well, you haven’t because this is virtually impossible.
The truth is that you can’t just erase those marks. What you can do is make them less visible, almost unnoticeable if you are persistent enough.
Deux Derme designed their Intensive cream for combating stretch marks using plant-derived extracts and no harmful chemicals, unlike most similar product you can find.
Additionally, this is the only formula, providing such promising and reliable effect – women who tried it saw visible results of their treatments:
- Skin discolorations faded, making the striae less visible
- Existing stretch marks diminished in sizes
- The skin on the belly and thighs became more supple
The above statements are written by women who applied the cream on daily basis, morning and before bedtime. According to multiple reviewers, the first visible results can be obtained within 2 months.
The #1 Clinically Proven Stretch Mark and Scar Treatment – 4oz Cream
- Suitable for both stretch marks and scars treatment
- Clinically proven to reduce the appearance of stretch marks for less than 2 months
- Deeply penetrating, highly concentrated formula
Since we at SkinPractice consider customer feedback extremely important for the overall performance of a particular skincare product, we decided to show you PRI DermaRESTORE, a topical stretch marks treatment with very promising reputation all over the Internet.
The formula is safe for pregnant and nursing women, it is reported effective for both newly formed and older stretch marks. PRI DermaRESTORE is allergen-free, highly concentrated product, containing essential oils, vitamins and plant extracts.
The company manufacturer conducted an independent clinical and scientific testing, according to which PRI DermaRESTORE successfully reduced the appearance of stretch marks in women in less than 2 months.
The formula should be applied 2 times a day (in order to obtain optimal results). You won’t need a derma roller for applying – just massage it into the already affected areas or those, that may develop stretch marks in the future. Remember to let the substance absorb well into the skin.
PRI DermaRESTORE can be used by both men and women, there are lots of pictures, showing the positive results of this treatment:
Note that if your stretch marks are years old, they won’t be completely removed. Advertisers promise miracle results but don’t be fooled – older stretch marks cannot magically disappear. PRI DermaRESTORE will make them less noticeable (they will fade in color and diminish in size).
A very important aspect is the treatment period – most customers with older striae started seeing results after 3 months of application, so you will need to be patient and persistent before you get the desired effect. Newly formed stretch marks usually take up to 6 weeks and, luckily, they are usually 100% eliminated.
Stretch Marks & Scars Defense
Cream by Body Merry
- Reduces and prevents the appearance of stretch marks and scars
- Uses high quality, natural ingredients
- Contains vitamins, plant stem cells, seaweed, and rich oils
- A single jar is sufficient for a prolonged application
You may have heard of Body Merry brand – this is an online boutique, offering budget-friendly skincare solutions. They developed a popular stretch marks and scars formula, which seems to get a lot of customers attention. Here’s why:
- The customized blend is formed to deliver deep hydration, while it soothes the rough skin
- The unscented butter provides vitamins, plant stem cells, seaweed, antioxidants and rich oils, providing an additional guarantee for a more intensive effect
- This body butter can be easily applied to the skin, without leaving residue or a sticky sensation
- It is suitable for all skin types and is cruelty-free
- The price of Body Merry Cream is very affordable
Customers say there is also a 30-day money back guarantee – in case you are not satisfied with your results, you can return the item purchased and get a refund.
People also comment that Body Merry Cream promotes skin elasticity, so the formula is highly recommended for pregnant women, who are undergoing an excessive weight gain. Body Merry Cream appears to have a great effect on new stretch marks – many people claim to have obtained impressive results:
A downside of this treatment method is that it does not seem as effective for the reduction of old stretch marks. Comments say that they do appear lighter and smoother but are still existent. The below picture shows the way white stretch marks on the stomach improved and diminished in sizes:
Stretch Marks Therapy 5.29 oz
- A formula, proven to prevent and reduce the appearance of striae
- Intensive effect and visible results within 12 weeks of treatment
- Safe to use during pregnancy
- The formula contains: Cepalin, Hyaluronic acid, Centella Asiatica and other plant extracts
Mederma offers various formulas for the management of skin imperfections. The and uses proven ingredient combination-stretch marks, and their anti-stretch marks formula is not an exception.
Mederma Stretch Marks Therapy is clinically proven, paraben-free, safe for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
The product combines the following ingredients, all of which are tested and clinically proven effective in the stretch marks treatment:\
- Dimethicone (as an active ingredient – a silicone-based lubricating agent, providing deep skin hydration
- Cepalin – a natural extract, proven to improve stretch marks texture, color and appearance
- Hyaluronic acid – promotes skin regeneration; insufficient levels of hyaluronic acid in the skin lead to faster degradation
- Centella Asiatica plant – proven to improve the treatment of small wounds, hypertrophic wounds as well as burns, psoriasis, and scleroderma; increases the collagen production
Clinical tests show that 72% of women, who used Mederma Stretch Marks Therapy for 12 weeks saw visible improvements in their striae. The formula is indeed effective for the removal of the newly formed skin imperfections.
Is Mederma effective for the treatment of old stretch marks?
If you have older stretch marks you would like to treat, you will need a prolonged period of topical application.
Good news is that people with older stretch marks also saw improvements in their colors, textures, and sizes – they became lighter, smoother and visibly diminished. Unfortunately, these stretch marks are harder to treat, sometimes it may take more than 2 months until you start seeing results.
StriVectin SD Advanced Intensive Concentrate
for Stretch Marks and Wrinkles
- A potent formula using high-quality ingredients
- Significantly diminishes the number, length, and depth of lines and wrinkles
- Contains Collagex-CE, proven to restore the damaged skin
- Clinically proven to provide a visible improvement in the skin texture and color
It is true that we have higher expectations for the more expensive skincare products. It is also true that such formulas should provide more visible results in a shorter period of time. So, let’s talk about StriVectin, a powerful collagen hydrating complex, aiming to diminish the number, length, and depth of striae and wrinkles.
StriVectin will actually change the texture and tone of your skin. According to the comments available, this effect will follow in less than 3-4 months,
Most people are using StriVectin for the management of fine lines and wrinkles, which is the main purpose of this formula. Generally, people are satisfied with the effect of the treatment but there are certain aspects we consider really disturbing:
- The significantly higher price
- The number of people who are not happy with the product received and/or the results obtained
So, keep these things in mind before you proceed to purchase!
Maternity Stretch Mark Prevention – 4 oz.
- Effective results in the prevention of striae during pregnancy
- Improves skin resilience and elasticity
- Safe, hypoallergenic, PH Balanced 6.0 Formula
- Combines 15 botanical oils, antioxidants, and various plant extracts
TriLASTIN Cream is a formula, getting more and more attention from the beauty industry, due to the potential beneficial effect in stretch marks reduction and prevention.
It has a great description but is it really effective?
According to those who purchased this cream and then decided to share their experience, the formula provides a deep nourishing effect and moisturizes the skin for a prolonged period of time. Most women who religiously applied the cream during their pregnancies, report they did not get any stretch marks.
TriLASTIN Cream is safe for both pregnant and nursing women, it is paraben-free and contains all natural oils and plant extracts. It is easily spread and absorbed by the skin, it won’t leave a sticky residue. Comments say it leaves a very pleasant smell after application. Most customers wrote extremely positive reviews – there are even people who saw improvements in older stretch marks.
However, we recommend this formula mostly for the prevention os striae during pregnancy because of the rich content providing deep skin hydration and promoting skin elasticity.
This safe, hypoallergenic cream is cheaper, compared to other formulas, serving similar purposes. Usually, products, aiming to prevent the appearance of stretch marks cost more than $50 and this is a lot, having that such formulas should be applied for months.
There is only one negative comment (out of 50+) saying that TriLASTIN Cream did not meet the expectations of a woman, who is six months pregnant and lots of stretch marks appeared on her stomach.
Liquid Purcellin Oil, 4.2 Fl Oz
- Effective stretch marks treatment
- Improves skin texture
- Easily applied and absorbed by the skin
- Clinically proven results
An article from 2016, published by the US National Library of Science announced that so far, Bio-Oil is the most commonly used product for the treatment and the prevention of stretch marks.
Bio-Oil is formulated with hypoallergenic ingredients, it is suitable for all skin types. The product is a mix of mineral oil, rosemary, chamomile, lavender, calendula oil, it is also packed with vitamin A and vitamin E. All of these have proven moisturizing, antioxidant and healing properties, they are shown to reduce skin damage and inflammation.
If you would like to prevent the development of striae, Bio-Oil will be a very suitable option due to the following reasons:
- It is transparent, so you can apply it everywhere on your skin, as often as you like
- It is easily absorbed, so it will not leave a greasy residue on the skin
- Bio-Oil is a very affordable option, having that products, developed for the prevention or removal of striae usually cost more than $30
Still, if your target is to eliminate existing stretch marks, you shouldn’t expect immediate or miracle results. Bio-Oil will only lighten and minimize the older striae, which will improve their appearance, but they will not disappear completely. So, be realistic about your expectations!
Reviews report that Bio-Oil provides a strong moisturizing effect on the skin and, according to people who tried it, it does not clog the pores.
The product comes in different sized bottles, so you can choose the quantity, according to your needs and the sizes of the areas affected. It is also important to note that for each application, you will need just a couple of drops, so a single bottle will be enogh for a prolonged period of time.
To add some inspiration, we decided to show you 2 photos of a woman who gained 50 pounds throughout her pregnancy. She regularly applied Bio-Oil (two times a day), and no stretch marks formed on her skin.
Stretch Marks & Scars Cream
- Restores the damaged skin within a short period of time
- Uses Collagen fix technology, which helps reduce discoloration and improves restoration of skin elasticity
- Provides a deep, long-lasting moisturizing effect
This cream is not one of the most popular options available on the Web. Why did we choose it?
We decided to add this Sieva anti-stretch marks formula because it contains mostly natural ingredients with proven beneficial (healing and regenerating) properties when applied topically. The rich, powerful, yet natural content is a very important aspect of any skincare product.
Having the customer reviews available, you can certainly rely on this Sieva cream if you have just developed stretch marks (they should still be pinkish or redish in color). However, the cream seems less effective for the reduction of old stretch marks.
Which is the best lotion to remove stretch marks
There is no way you did not get into a situation where you are wondering what cosmetic product to take. Whether it be a cream or a lotion?
Recently, anti-stretch marks lotions have become quite popular, and women wonder what to choose and will provide a better effect. In order to make the right choice, however, you should be aware of the differences between a lotion and a cream.
A cream is a mixture of water and a higher dosage of oil. Compared to lotions, creams are heavier and richer substances, they are also thicker in consistency.
A lotion, on the other hand, has a higher water percentage. Lotions are (usually) light-weight, non-greasy, and are easily absorbed into the skin, they often have a liquid consistency.
It is a matter of personal choice whether you are going to choose a cream or a lotion for the treatment of stretch marks. Lotions have a higher percentage of water and are most beneficial to keep skin hydrated, which is the most important rule for the prevention of stretch marks.
The table below shows the best-selling lotions for stretch marks reduction available online:
Which is the best stretch mark cream during pregnancy?
The 100% safe one. Manufacturers usually note whether a particular product is safe for application during pregnancy. The best options for expecting women are the product, containing natural and nourishing butter, proven to improve the skin elasticity. Such formulas are usually prepared from shea, cocoa, coconut or natural ingredients, such as vitamin E or Glycerin.
- CRUELTY-FREE AND VEGAN - We never test on animals
- PREGNANCY FORMULA- No Parabens, No Phthalates, No Hyaluronic Acid, No Retinoids, No Formaldehyde, No...
- MONEY BACK GUARANTEE- 100% satisfaction with our best-in-class Stretch Mark Cream guarantee
Are stretch marks removal creams safe during pregnancy?
Some of them, yes. But you should carefully check every single ingredient in the formula you intend to use. Here’s a list of the widely used ingredients in product for the treatment of stretch marks pregnant women should avoid:
- Retinol (vitamin A in its whole molecule form– the ingredient fights acne and improves the overall skin health; fights against wrinkle formation; side effects associated with topical vitamin A are local skin reactions, such as redness, peeling, dryness, itching, and burning)
- Parabens are a class of chemicals widely used as preservatives in the cosmetics and pharmaceuticals industries. Parabens are effective preservatives and are involved in many formulas. These compounds and their salts are mainly used for their bactericidal and fungicidal properties. They can be found in shampoos, moisturizers, shaving gels, lubricants, makeup, and a wide variety of toothpaste. They are also used as food supplements
- Essential oils oil is a concentrated hydrophobic liquid containing volatile aromatic compounds from plants. Essential oils are also known as volatile oils or simply as vegetable oils of the plant from which they are extracted, such as tea tree oil. They carry the distinctive aroma of the plant and may provoke severe allergic reactions to people with more sensitive skin
Which is the best stretch marks removal cream for old stretch marks?
For the removal of old stretch marks, we recommend products, designed for the treatment of both stretch marks and scars. Since the stretch marks are types of scars and their formation is due to the breakage of elastic and collagen fibers in the skin. The main reason for the appearance of stretch marks is related to hormonal factors.
The production of the dermal fibers is influenced by the hormone cortisol, whose excess quantity suppresses the production of collagen and elastin. During pregnancy, puberty or other hormonal changes, cortisol is overproduced, which leads to a weakening of the fiber network and the reduction its resistance. This way, the skin becomes less elastic and fragile, prone to dehydration and drying.
So, the most effective options for the treatment of old stretch marks are the formulas stimulating the production of collagen, while providing a deep moisturizing effect.
Frequently asked questions
When to start using a stretch marks cream during pregnancy?
As early as possible. The timely prevention is the most important step if you don’t want to have pregnancy stretch marks. If you do moisturize the areas, where striae are likely to develop (they usually appear on the belly, breasts, hips, and thighs), chances you successfully prevent their appearance are really high.
Keeping your skin well hydrated and soft will improve your skin elasticity. Of course, genetics also play a major role when it comes to the development of stretch marks but if you regularly apply a moisturizing product (there are various options, including creams, lotions, and homemade ointments) you will have minimal skin damage, following the accumulated weight.
But wait there’s more! The way you apply your anti-stretch marks product is also important. The best you can do for your skin is to massage the product you purchased, so that the blood flow in the area increases, while the tension reduces.
Gentle, yet deep massage will additionally improve your skin elasticity.
Gently massage the skin with spiral movements. Apply circle movements around the navel, which are followed by spiral movements again. Massage the area around your chest the same way.
It is extremely important for all massage movements to be carried out smoothly, without pressure. Massage the skin 10-15 minutes a day. It’s really worth taking care of your body during pregnancy because the recovery afterward can be difficult.
We have also found multiple comments, written by pregnant women, who used Bio Oil during their entire pregnancy.
However, we at SkinPractice do not recommend it as it contains allergens that may have a harmful effect on you and the baby. It also contains retinyl palmitate, which is a form of vitamin A, but opinions vary on this particular form’s safety during pregnancy.
Many women prefer using products, which are specially designed for the prevention of pregnancy stretch marks, as they are proven safe and have no side effects on the unborn. Trilastin is one of these options, containing 15 botanical oils and extracts, and enriched with antioxidants and essential fatty acids.
- STRETCH MARK PREVENTION CREAM - Helps improve skin resilience and elasticity to prevent stretch...
- NATURALLY-DERIVED FROM MOTHER NATURE - 15 botanical oils and extracts, and enriched with...
- HELPS RELIEVE ITCHY SKIN - Safe, hypoallergenic, PH Balanced 6.0 Formula that soothes, hydrates,...
What are the active ingredients in a stretch mark removal cream?
- Glycolic Acid (powerful anti-aging skin care ingredient, exfoliating agent; may provoke skin irritation)
- Retinyl palmitate (gentler, milder form of vitamin A – the ingredient fights acne and improves the overall skin health; fights against wrinkle formation; side effects associated with topical vitamin A are local skin reactions, such as redness, peeling, dryness, itching, and burning)
- Aloe Vera (has a soothing, anti-inflammatory and healing effect on the oral mucosa; it is considered a safe ingredient)
- Vitamin E (a natural skin-conditioning agent with strong moisturizing properties, and powerful antioxidant effect)
- Cocoa Butter (strong moisturizing effect; prevents skin dryness and peeling)
- Coconut oil (has a proven softening effect on the skin surface)
- Shea Butter (provides softening and moisturizing effect)
When and how to apply stretch marks creams?
Anti-stretch marks products should be applied at least twice a day, so they can provide optimal results. We recommend applying such products in the morning and before bedtime.
The more important is how to apply them. Since these are scar formations, they will require some efforts, persistence, and patience. Which means you will have to spend at least 5 minutes a day (twice a day) performing a gentle massage on the affected area, so to improve the blood flow and help the product you have chosen penetrate deeply into the skin.
What are other types of stretch marks treatment?
There are various home remedies (mixtures, you can prepare yourself; such preparations are very simple and cheap) as well as laser procedures (performed by professional aestheticians in beauty salons; cost a lot more than the over-the-counter treatments)
Is it normal for teens to get stretch marks?
What is the best stretch marks prevention?
The prevention of stretch marks depends on multiple factors. Basically, it depends on your lifestyle.
The best way to prevent the appearance of stretch marks is to always moisturize your skin. The skin surface should be well hydrated all day, every day and this refers to internal hydration as well.
Your skin will sure look better if you drink sufficient amounts of water every day. The nutrition it receives is also important – eating healthy, rich foods will guarantee you a radiant, youthful appearance.
The best preventative ointments, products or homemade recipes contain the following ingredients: cocoa butter, coconut oil, aloe vera, shea butter, lard and other, yet less effective ingredients. They are found everywhere in pharmacies and online.
Everyone's skin is unique, and even if you have chosen the best product for your skin condition, the containing ingredients may still cause some irritation, burning sensation, rash or allergy.
Last update on 2018-10-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API