Seborrheic dermatitis is a common, chronic and sometimes uncomfortable skin condition. It occurs with the formation of yellowish scales on the scalp or face although it may sometimes affect other parts of the body.
Proper and regular use of deep penetrating, thicker creams can control this condition, which, unfortunately, lasts for a lifetime.
How to choose an effective cream for seborrheic dermatitis
The effective seborrheic creams provide long-lasting moisturization and protection to your sensitive and irritated skin and keep the symptoms at bay.
Below you can find formulas with a proven effect on the control of the condition, reducing the redness, scaling and irritation.
Best seborrheic dermatitis creams
Puriya Mother of All Creams
- Alleviates seborrheic dermatitis symptoms immediately
- Restores skin integrity and deeply hydrates it
- Suitable for body and scalp application
- Packed with natural ingredients, free of fragrance and colorants
Puriya Mother of All Creams is the name of a multi-purpose formula, specially developed for patients with extremely dry, scaly, irritated skin. The ointment is getting more and more popular among patients with SD, eczema, psoriasis, lichen planus and other conditions related to the above-mentioned symptoms.
Puriya cream seborrheic cream has almost 5000 reviews, most of them – extremely positive. The images below show the improvements of 2 dermatitis patients:
According to those who regularly applied the seborrheic dermatitis cream, it provides multiple benefits for the severely dry, scaly skin:
- Puriya stopped the itching and improved the condition of the damaged skin
- Patients inform that their skin became softer and more hydrated
- Irritation and redness were gone after the first days of topical application (the woman on the below picture managed to clear up a months old itchy, red, and sore spot on her neck in just 3 days)
- There are also patients who successfully reduced the appearance of red and inflamed spots on the facial area:
Note that the formula is not recommended for patients with allergies to chamomile or related plants like ragweed, chrysanthemums, marigolds, or daisies.
- Provides instant and long-lasting relief for dry, scaly and irritated skin
- An affordable seborrheic dermatitis cream for prolonged application
- Has an impressive satisfaction rate among SD patients
- Absorbs well into the skin
- There are patients who consider cortisone treatment more effective than this natural creams
- There are a couple of complaints, regarding adverse skin reactions, including burning sensation and discomfort
Seborrheic Dermatitis Cream (2 oz) by pHat 5.5
- Natural seborrheic cream
- Balanced pH of 5.5
- Suitable for all body parts
- A little goes a long way
If you are looking for something unpretentious and affordable, yet effective, Seborrheic Dermatitis Cream (2 oz) by pHat 5.5 may be a suitable option for you. In brief: you get all the benefits Manuka Honey, Hemp extract, Aloe Vera, Coconut Oil, and other natural ingredients provide for the skin for less than $20.
This dermatitis cream is specially formulated for seborrhea sufferers, at ph 5.5, which is exactly the same as your skin pH. This means that the cream will not provoke any sort of skin irritations, even for those with increased skin sensitivity.
This unscented, paraben-free seborrheic dermatitis cream is preferred by many SD patients, as it is gentle to the skin, yet effective and suitable for all body parts (face, scalp, neck, back, ears etc.). When applied properly, this product prevents further breakouts and is a successful alternative to the expensive corticosteroid treatment.
The rich ingredients list is well received by patients – most of them left encouraging reviews, as they are satisfied with the formula and do not need additional treatment.
The container is enough for a prolonged application, which is another positive feature of the seborrheic creams. Many patients claim that they have been using this exact formula for years and are still satisfied with the effect.
- Very gentle to the most sensitive skin; the pH of these SD creams is 5.5 – the same as human’s skin
- Suitable for facial, scalp and body application
- Won’t clog the pores, has anti-comedogenic properties
- Several reviews say the product did not provide the results promised
- A patient complained about an allergic reaction due to the application of this SD cream
Dermoscribe Seborrheic Dermatitis Cream
- Fast relief for redness, itching, scaling
- Often prescribed by dermatologists
- Successful seborrheic dermatitis management
- 100% money-back guarantee
Dermoscribe seborrheic dermatitis creams are specially developed for the reduction of the symptoms, associated with the inflammatory condition. They are both dermatologically tested and FDA approved, which makes it a safe option for all patients.
The active ingredients – Sulfur (3%), Hydrocortisone (1%) and Salicylic Acid (3%) work in combination, providing strong anti-inflammatory properties, helping improve the overall appearance of the skin.
Unlike other seborrheic creams, this one is safe to use for a prolonged period of time. It is available without a prescription and should be applied twice a day.
The positive effect can be immediately observed, and, according to patents’ reviews, Dermoscribe does visibly improve the condition of the skin within a very short time. 3-4 days are perfectly enough in case you suffer moderate SD symptoms but you will need at least a month if you have a more severe skin condition. According to patients, this is the most effective cream if it comes to mild to moderate seborrhea.
Unfortunately, this seborrheic dermatitis cream does not provide long-lasting relief, so it should be reapplied on daily basis. Relief can only be expected while applying the cream.
Another negative aspect is the smell of the product – according to the comments available, it is quite unpleasant. This is due to the fact that there are no added fragrances, as such often provoke negative skin reactions.
- Contains Hydrocortisone, an ingredient proven to alleviate seborrhea symptoms
- Suitable for scalp application
- Proven and tested by dermatologists
- Dermoscribe seborrheic dermatitis creams have a very promising online reputation
- Patients avoid using it during the day, as the consistency of the cream is very thick
- The smell of the product is not well tolerated by everyone
- A potent formula for the management of seborrheic dermatitis
- Ingredients with a proven beneficial effect on the symptoms, associated with this condition
- High satisfaction rate among patients
- Immediate results (after the first application of the product)
This topical seborrheic dermatitis cream will maintain control of seborrhea symptoms, including itching, flaking, and redness. It has a proven beneficial effect on mild, moderate and severe forms of the condition. It successfully relieves swelling, itching, and redness, associated with seborrhea.
Noble formula is enhanced with Hydrocortisone , an ingredient, generally used to reduce skin inflammation and control the symptoms, associated with seborrheic dermatitis, Prithione Zinc  is a potent antidandruff ingredient, which is also proven to reduce sebum secretion.
This seborrheic cream can be applied topically up to 3 times a day.
Comments are indeed positive – most patients experienced immediate relief right after the initial application of the Noble Formula dermatitis cream. What is more, people tend to apply the cream on the areas affected for about a couple days, then (after the skin healed completely), discontinued the use of Noble Formula until the next flare-up (usually, after a couple of weeks).
I see a nice difference 24 hours after the first application but I need to continue daily for a 3 or 4 days for a better result. Then I stop using this cream for a few weeks until I need it again.
The very fact that all the consequences of seborrheic dermatitis are serious and quite noticeable and about 75% of those who purchased Noble Formula are satisfied with the healing effect and immediate results, is indeed promising.
According to patients, this seborrheic dermatitis cream can be safely applied to the scalp area (however, this was not mentioned in the product description, so keep that in mind).
- Noble formula leaves the skin soft and smooth
- This seborrheic dermatitis creams can be safely applied as often as needed
- Does not contain steroids
- Suitable for prolonged application
- Compared to other seborrheic creams, this one is more expensive
- Not 100% natural ingredient
- There are patients who has adverse reactions after applying Noble Formula
- Provides 100 mln CFU
- Certified GMP (Good Manufacturing Processes)
- Uses no alcohol or harmful chemicals
“Spray on and leave on” – this topical spray, providing 100 mln CFU of live probiotics, is supposed to eliminate bad bacteria from your skin surface for up to 72 hours. The product can be easily applied, does not contain chemicals or alcohol.
According to the description, it won’t leave an unpleasant smell after the application. Dermatic should be applied 1-2 times a day (or according to your needs).
The formula is also safe for sensitive areas, such as the eyes, ears, and face.
- Here’s the improvement a pregnant woman reported after trying Dermatic:
Within a few days, the patches begin coming off. We have been using the product for about 6 days. The results shown were after 5 days.
The only ingredients in Dermatic seborrheic dermatitis medicine are lactobacillus rhamnosus and water. Lactobacillus rhamnosus is known to alleviate allergies and have a positive impact on the symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis. Dermatic is very suitable for those who don’t like the thick consistency of cream formulas.
This spray is supposed to provide an immediate improvement for the itching but you may need 10-14 days if your condition is more serious. Seborrheic dermatitis patients also report positive results as regards to the flaking.
But the truth is that not everyone is satisfied with the effect of the spray. About half of those who gave it a try have no intentions to reorder.
- 100% natural content
- Proven to regenerate the skin surface
- Suitable for all over body parts
- Affordable, compared to common seborrheic medicines
- The probiotic is shipped without adequate refrigeration (shipping during the summer may kill the bacteria)
- Some patients experienced aggravation of their symptoms (such as irritation, redness, itching)
- Multiple reviews say this probiotic treatment is totally ineffective
Medline Remedy Olivamine
- Restores, hydrates and nourishes the damaged skin
- Hypoallergenic and non-sensitizing
- Safe for daily use
- Suitable for all skin types, recommended for dry, cracked and scally skin
Medline company offers a wide range of skincare solutions, helping to maintain skin integrity and reduce all sorts of skin irritations.
Their specialized seborrheic dermatitis cream, Medline Remedy with Olivamine is developed to nourish the dry, chapped and irritated skin.
This formula contains Dimethicone White Petrolatum (50%) – a potent skin protectant agent, which is generally considered nonirritating to the skin. It has a proven healing effect on the irritated skin.
When applied topically, Medline seborrheic dermatitis cream is one of the most effective creams on the market: it successfully stops the itching and redness, provoked by seborrhea, while it also provides a deep moisturizing effect.
The price of this topical ointment is considerably lower, compared to most seborrheic dermatitis creams available. This formula is suitable for the face, hands, body, and legs (note that it may leave a pink residue on the skin, as the consistency of the cream is very thick).
Medline Remedy with Olivamine performs extremely well – more than 90% of all seborrheic dermatitis patients ranked it an excellent product. Comments say that this formula does protect the skin from external irritants.
There are also people who use Medline Remedy on their babies and are impressively satisfied with the effect on the most sensitive skin, some even consider it the best seborrheic dermatitis cream out there. The ‘lovely smell’ is another positive aspect that shouldn’t be neglected.
Medline Remedy is often used in hospitals because of the multiple (tested and proven) benefits and regenerative effects it provides on the skin.
- Cheap and effective seborrheic cream
- Impressive product reputation among patients
- Long lasting, deep penetrating effect
- Packed with 20% Zinc Oxide, proven to promote skin healing
- Medline leavves pinkish residue on the skin
Frequently asked questions
Seborrheic Dermatitis is a chronic skin disease, which cannot be completely eliminated. However, there are various ways to control the symptoms. They focus on loosening scale, reducing inflammation and swelling, and curbing itch.
In less severe cases, a topical antifungal cream or medicated shampoo (such as ketoconazole, selenium sulfide, coal tar, and zinc pyrithione) may be enough to control these symptoms.
Seborrheic dermatitis is a common skin condition, where your skin is essentially attacking itself. Your body and your immune system ‘start thinking’ there is something wrong that needs to be fixed, this resulting in inflammation. So, immunosuppressants stop your immune system from inflaming your skin and they are usually prescribed (by doctors) for the temporary improvement of the symptoms.
Additionally, since the condition affects the skin (on the body, the face, and the scalp), multiple seborrheic dermatitis creams are available on the market, aiming to alleviate the disturbing symptoms (skin flaking, dandruff, redness, itching, inflammation).
Here’s a tip, posted by Reddit u/julseth314:
The simple answer is no. We have checked various sources (including clinics and homeopathic doctors), offering homeopathic variations for the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis.
However, any of the options available is not supported by proven clinical data, so we cannot acknowledge whether homeopathic treatment will be effective for seborrheic dermatitis management.
For mild cases, the visible improvement may be noticed within 2-3 days. The more severe cases usually require prolonged treatment periods until the skin recovers completely.
Yes. For acute forms of seborrheic dermatitis, topical corticosteroids may be used at the beginning of the treatment alone or in combination with an antimycotic agent to limit inflammation. Prolonged or frequent use of corticosteroids should be avoided due to their well-known side effects (atrophy, telangiectasia, hypertrichosis, dyschromia, oral dermatitis, etc.).
In a double-blind controlled study, 70 patients with seborrheic dermatitis were treated with a combination of miconazole 2% and hydrocortisone 1%, only 2% of miconazole or only 1% of hydrocortisone. Patients in the two miconazole administration groups showed significant improvement compared to those receiving hydrocortisone cream 1% as prophylactic therapy. Myconazole treatments also result in a reduction in Malassezia yeast.
Double-blind comparative studies also demonstrate that hydrocortisone seborrheic dermatitis cream is not more effective than cream with 2% ketoconazole content in improving the symptoms of seborrhea. Considerable reductions in the number of yeast Malassezia have been observed with ketoconazole compared to hydrocortisone. Gel foam with 2% ketoconazole is more effective than lotion, containing 0.05% betamethasone dipropionate.
Everyone's skin is unique, and even if you have chosen the best product for your skin condition, the containing ingredients may still cause some irritation, burning sensation, rash or allergy.
- Optimizing Treatment Approaches in Seborrheic Dermatitis
- Zinc Therapy in Dermatology: A Review
Last update on 2019-08-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API