Canker sores also called aphthous ulcers or mouth sores could be very unpleasant, painful and may require a long treatment time and a high-quality canker sore ointment.
Table of Contents
- 1 What is the best medicine for canker sores?
- 2 How to get rid of canker sores on gums?
- 3 How to treat canker sore on the lip?
- 4 How to get rid of a canker sore on the tongue?
- 5 How long do canker sores last?
- 6 Canker sore images
- 7 Canker sores FAQ Answered
- 7.1 How long do canker sores last?
- 7.2 How to get rid of canker sores overnight?
- 7.3 Are canker sores the same thing as cold sores (fever blisters)?
- 7.4 How does lysine work on for canker sores?
- 7.5 Can you get canker sores on your gums?
- 7.6 How to stop canker sore pain?
- 7.7 Does peroxide work on a canker sore?
- 7.8 How to deal with severe canker sores?
- 8 References
What is the best medicine for canker sores?
We collected and reviewed the best canker sore medicines, providing the fastest healing effect. Our research is based on patients’ experience and doctors’ recommendations. The active ingredients in most canker sore treatment products are defining their potency and efficacy.
Gly-Oxide Antiseptic Oral Cleanser
- In-depth cleansing of mouth ulcerations and gum inflammations
- Improves the overall oral health
- Reduces the risk of future infections
- Prevents canker sores development
The active ingredient in this canker sore medicine is carbamide peroxide, which is used to speed up the treatment process and soothe the irritations inside the mouth because of its’ strong antibacterial properties.
The product has excellent reviews, reporting that it helps heal mouth ulcers, as it works wonders for any sort of oral infection, according to the people’ comments.
Gly-Oxide contains the following ingredients:
- Carbamide peroxide 10% (active ingredient) – a common bleaching agent, breaks down into hydrogen peroxide and urea; may cause tooth sensitivity
- Citric Acid – beneficial for the treatment of various conditions causing infections; may cause mucosal irritation
- Glycerin – a common humectant
- Propylene Glycol – an ingredient, preventing the escape of moisture or water in cosmetic formulas
- Sodium lauroyl sarcosinate – a surfactant, used as a foaming and cleansing agent
- Sodium Stannate – inorganic salt, stabilizing agent
People are also satisfied with the price of this canker sore medicine, as they get a pack of 2 oral cleansers. What is really impressive about this canker sore ointment is the absolute lack of negative reviews. What is more, the good reputation of this product is preserved for years.
VITA-MYR All Natural Mouthwash
- Natural mouthwash, containing Zinc, Folic Acid, Clove, Myrrh Oil
- Stimulates the healing process in the oral cavity
- Soothes the pain, following canker sores development
- Considered the best ointment for canker sores with 100% natural ingredients
The full list of containing ingredients includes
- Folic Acid
- Distilled Water
Zinc soothes mouth injuries like mouth sores heal faster; folic acid promotes cell reproduction; clove will help numb the pain; and myrrh is often used as a mouthwash to treat various types of mouth and gum ailments, including sore gums, bad breath, and canker sores treatment.
Unfortunately, there are very few reviews about this canker sore medicine but the good news is that the published ones are very positive. The mouthwash has no chemical colors, no preservatives, no additives. It is said to be the best cure for canker sores with all natural ingredients.
It can even be used every day, as it has no negative effect on the mouth cavity and keeps the teeth and gums healthy. After purchasing the product, you should simply gargle Vita-Myr Natural Mouthwash for great cleansing action and fresh breath.
CankerYanker® Canker Sore Relief
- A dietary supplement, containing probiotics, vitamins, minerals, herbs and amino acids
- Promotes quick canker sore healing
- Provides an immediate pain relief
- Popular canker sore medicine
Canker Yanker is a nutritional dietary supplement. It contains multiple vitamins, amino acids, and loads of other ingredients promoting the healing process. What you should do is to pour one packet into 6-8 fl. oz. of cold water and mix well, then wait until the effervescence ceases before drinking (1 pack contains 10 calories).
There are lots of reviews about this canker sore medicine but, unfortunately, its’ rating is not impressive at all. Here’s a review, which summarizes the real purpose of the product:
“This product just provides a quick boost in the case of a canker sore outbreak. By no means a cure, simply a supplement. Helped me slowly clear a few breakouts.”
In general, this canker sore treatment would resolve the problem with canker sores for people with nutritional deficiencies, but there are also loads of negative comments, informing that Canker Yanker has temporary effect only or does not work at all, so apparently it depends on the individual.
- Fasst and effective canker sore medicine
- Relieves the discomfort, associated with aphthous stomatitis
- Stimulates the healing process in the mouth cavity
- Over the counter medicine for canker sores without prescription
Canker-Rid is another nominee for most effective canker sore medicine available. It has almost 1000 reviews, almost 80% of which describes it as an excellent product. The description says that the pain from the sore will stop almost immediately.
The basic ingredient is propolis a naturally-occurring bee product) which is proven to be very effective canker sore treatment .
Patients advise using a Q-tip for the application, as the substance should be applied to the canker sore.
A downside about the canker sore ointment is that it is very strong and may sting:
” I mean your sore doesn’t even have to be popped or anything, this canker-rid is just a damn minty. I personally don’t mind it but it’s just a fair warning.”
Aside from that, most canker sore sufferers find the product:
“Truly a life saver!!!”
Tanac Liquid for Relief of Painful Mouth Sores
- Suitable for the treatment of canker sores, cold sores, and gum problems
- Contains Tannic Acid, protecting the mucosal tissue
- A successful substitute to antiviral drugs
- Effective over the counter canker sore relief
Tanac is another liquid formula, which not only does this product relieve pain, it actually shortens the duration of mouth sores.
Almost 90% of all patients suffering from mouth sores rated the product excellent, there are people who have used this for years. According to multiple reviews, it does not have a great taste and provokes a stinging sensation when applied, but is an indeed efficient cold sore medicine.
People with chronic canker sores, who have tried various home over the counter canker sore treatment products, prescription antivirals (both topical and pill form) swear by this formula. It immediately numbs the pain, associated with canker sores and quickly shrinks the ulcers.
The complete ingredients list is the following:
- Benzocaine 10% – a local anesthetic; causes temporary numbness when applied topically
- benzalkonium chloride – a surfactant, may provoke irritation
- peppermint oil – gives a cooling sensation and has a calming effect
- polyethylene glycol 400 – a lubricating agent, creates a protective barrier on the affected area
- propylene glycol – an ingredient, preventing the escape of moisture or water in cosmetic formulas
- sodium saccharin – artificial sweetener, fragrance agent, non-toxic ingredient
- tannic acid – protects the mucosal tissue from inflammations, caused by external irritants; astringent; considered one of the best remedies for canker sores
How to get rid of canker sores on gums?
The gum tissue can also get affected by mouth sores. The ulcers are usually round-shaped, swollen and quite painful. If left untreated, they often heal on their own within 2 weeks. The treatment process can dramatically decrease with the help of topical anesthetics you can purchase over-the-counter, as well as antimicrobial mouthwashes.
An additional benefit is that such over the counter canker sore treatment options provide a temporary pain relief, which is an indeed positive aspect in case your mouth ulcers appeared on your gumline.
Vademecum mouthwash and gargle concentrate
- Medical-grade formula with Mint, Sage, and Chamomile
- Effective mouth sore remedy and mouth abrasions treatment
- Freshens breath
The formula contains Mint, Sage, and Chamomile, stimulating the healing processes in the mouth cavity, while successfully reducing the painful sensation. The complete ingredients’ list includes:
- Alcohol 31% (By Volume) – a common emulsifier and emollient in cosmetics, which is indicated to provoke allergic reactions in some patients with very sensitive skin
- Sorbitol – a plant-derived alcohol, a common humectant in the cosmetic industry; considered safe ingredient
- Coconut Oil – has a proven softening effect on the skin surface and the mucosal tissue
- Menthol – provokes cooling sensation
- Clove Oil -soothes the irritated tissue
- Sodium Benzoate – a common cosmetic preservative
- Chamomile Oil – this ingredient has a calming effect and strong anti-inflammatory properties
According to the reviews available, this formula does not the sweet aftertaste most mouthwashes do and is very beneficial in case you experience swelling and soreness.
Patients with cold sores claim to experience immediate relief and visible improvements in their condition after using this Vademecum mouthwash concentrate.
The product is sufficient for prolonged use as it is compact, condensed and concentrated, unlike most formulas that won’t last a month. It is a considerably effective canker sore treatment, according to multiple reviews.
Multiple comments say the formula is one of the most effective over the counter canker sore relief so far. There are even patients who have been using it for years:
My parents cannot live without this. introduced to my mother by my father who bought this in Germany. Been buying this in the states since the 70s.
Oral Rinse Essential Oil For Oral Care 100% Therapeutic Grade
- An essential oil blend, providing a strong healing effect
- Soothes inflammation and relieves nerve pain
- Successful canker sore cure
This oral rinse is another potent formula, aiming to be the best canker sore medicine when it comes to sores on the gums. What is important about this mouth sore remedy is that it will prevent further development of mouth ulcers. This is possible thanks to the essential oil complex, included in the formula. Most of these oils stimulate the healing process while reducing the inflammation in the area affected.
The overall performance of this canker sore medicine appears to be great: multiple patients, suffering ulcers on the gums claim to have extremely satisfying effects of the treatment. People are also happy with the smell of this mouthwash – the long-lasting peppermint taste keeps the oral cavity fresh for a long time. The complete ingredients’ list in this over the counter canker sore treatment with an essential oil blend includes:
- Niaouli – a powerful cleansing oil with antiseptic properties; leaves a fresh scent
- Tea Tree – an antibacterial and antifungal compound that is known to reduce inflammation that can lead to swelling of the mucosa
- Lavender – a fragrance ingredient with very strong antiseptic and anti-fungal properties
- Lemon – a strong antiseptic that prevents and clears up infections and inflammation
- Basil – has an antibacterial and anti-inflammatory effect on the oral cavity
- Geranium – balances pH, helps to reduce inflammation; considered safe
- German Chamomile – his ingredient has a calming effect and anti-inflammatory properties
- Melissa – this oil provides antiviral and antimicrobial properties
100% Pure Manawa East Cape Manuka Oil
- Provides a strong anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect
- Eliminates bacteria and irritations
- 100% natural product
- Fast canker sore medicine
As the mucosal tissue, forming the gums is very fragile, it can be easily irritated by the chemically-derived ingredients, containing in most canker sore treatment products. This is why this manuka oil is getting more and more popular among patients with mouth ulcers.
Manuka oil is clinically proven to have antibacterial, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, anti-histaminic, anti-allergenic. cicatrisant properties, which makes it a very suitable canker sores treatment.
As expected, people use manuka oil for various purposes, as this natural substance has an extremely strong healing effect. Almost 90% of those who tried the canker sore medicine are extremely satisfied with their results.
Here’s an advise, regarding the application of manuka oil, you might find useful:
Cuts, insect bites, gargle, everything! Is concentrated so beware; sometimes it’s best to dilute on skin.
How to treat canker sore on the lip?
Canker sores often affect the lip area. The problem is that they often get confused with cold sores (small, painful, fluid-filled blisters or sores that appear on the lips, mouth, or nose that are caused by a herpes simplex virus).
Another important thing to remember is the fact that canker sores, appearing on the inside of the mouth cannot be transmitted by contact with other people, unlike cold sores, which are highly contagious.
The treatment of canker sores inside the lip is the same as the medicines used for the lesions, appearing anywhere inside the oral cavity.
Here’s a list of the most effective treatments for canker sores inside the lip (according to patients’ experience):
How to get rid of a canker sore on the tongue?
Canker sores, affecting the tongue can be extremely painful and swollen, as the area is more sensitive (a large number of nerve endings on the tongue makes it more prone to irritations and ulcerations).
Canker sores in the oral cavity can be provoked by multiple triggers – allergies, injury, infection, even stress. However, the most common factor, leading to the appearance of canker sores on the tongue is the systemic injuries (when we accidentally bite the tongue) and a bacterial infection develops. The problem can also occur due to improper oral hygiene (if you don’t brush your teeth regularly or even if you overbrush them).
If your canker sores appeared on the tongue, it highly recommended to avoid acidic or spicy foods – they may be the initial trigger of the problem, while the supplementation of vitamins and minerals is crucial for the healing process.
Additionally, there are various canker sore medicines and mouthwashes you can regularly use to speed up the healing time, reduce the discomfort and eliminate the problem. Patients recommend the following formulas:
What mouthwash solutions be used to treat and cure canker sores?
Studies suggest that people who use mouthwash 2 times a day visit the dentist less often than those who skip this mandatory last step in dental care. What is more, most mouthwash formulas have strong antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, all of which are extremely important for the elimination of canker sores. The regular use of mouthwash, however, should be done as directed.
- It is good to use mouthwash as a final step in washing your teeth in the morning and in the evening. This way, you will be able to completely remove the food residue that you couldn’t clean with the toothbrush and the toothpaste. You can also use it at any other time of the day to refresh our breath.
- It is important to remember that mouthwash does not replace the effect of the toothbrushing.
In the dispenser (usually the lid of the pack), pour the amount indicated in the instructions, if necessary dilute with some water (for the concentrated formulas).
- Once you pour the amount into the oral cavity, you should gargle between 30 seconds and 1 minute, trying to reach the back teeth, the tongue, the roof of your mouth and the ligaments. Finally, you should spit out the liquid substance.
- For maximum effect of the formula, it is recommended to wait at least half an hour before consuming foods or drinks, including water.
There are certain mouthwash formulas patients use for both preventing and treating mouth ulcers:
- Health and Beauty
Sage herb has strong anti-inflammatory properties and has a proven beneficial effect on mouth irritations, sore throats, mouth disease, and ulcers.
This daily mouthwash is suitable for everyday use, it prevents the bacteria spread, while the 100% natural ingredients in the formula won’t provoke adverse reactions or irritations in the mouth cavity. According to many, this is one of the best canker sore treatment options, as the annoying ulcers appear less often.
Apple cider vinegar mouthwash
- Reduce Embarrassment During Conversations
- Freshen Gums and Tissues Between Teeth
- Cleanse Tongue Odors
This mouthwash is initially developed for the reduction of bad breath, following smoking. But wait, there’s more – apple cider vinegar is clinically proven beneficial when it comes to canker sores treatment. It has the potential to be the best cure for canker sores of 100% natural origin.
It will shorten the healing time, reduce the painful sensation in your mouth, eliminate the bacteria and, last but not least, it will keep your breath fresh.
How long do canker sores last?
Without being treated, canker sores may last about 10 days without leaving scars.
Larger ulcers are rare (1 in 10 cases). Their size is over 1 cm in diameter. They have an irregular shape. Most often, only one canker sore appears, but sometimes there may be two or more. These canker sores are quite painful.
Such ulcers are persistent – they usually disappear after 2 weeks to several months. Once healed, they usually leave a scar.
Herpetiform aphthae are rare (1 in 10 cases). They appear as small separate groups of many ulcers. They resemble herpes, where their name comes from, but they are not related to the herpes virus. The healing period may take 2 weeks to 2 months.
Canker sore images
Canker sores FAQ Answered
How long do canker sores last?
The evolution of the separate canker sore lasts about 6-7 days and usually disappears without leaving a scar.
If multiple canker sores appear within a short period of time, they usually form clusters which may require a longer treatment period.
How to get rid of canker sores overnight?
The healing process depends on multiple factors. Such include genetics, immune system, environment, they determine how fast canker sores will disappear. These are different in every human being, so the complete process may take a couple of hours for some but for others, it may even take days.
After reviewing hundreds of patients’ comments, we made a list of the best remedies for canker sores, providing the fastest effect on the painful mouth sores:
Are canker sores the same thing as cold sores (fever blisters)?
Unlike cold sores, canker sores are not contagious. Cold sores may be accompanied by fever (this is why they are often called fever blisters), swollen lymph glands at the neck, and general malaise. Aphthae (or canker sores) are rarely accompanied by fever and other ailments. The cause of the appearance of canker sores is still unknown, but among the suspected causes are stress, nutrient deficiency, immune system weaknesses, and allergy or food sensitivity (often provoked following the consumption of tomatoes, chocolate, and citrus fruits).
The reason for the appearance of cold sores is the herpes simplex virus. After the initial elimination of the symptoms, the virus usually remains inactive in the skin until something triggers the next breakout – such as cold, sunburn, shock, dental or sinus infection or menstrual problems. There are two major strains of herpes simplex virus – type 1 and type 2. Type 1 is the usual cause of herpes, but type 2 (which is usually restricted to the genital area) can also cause herpes (cold sores) on the face.
How does lysine work on for canker sores?
Lysine is an essential amino acid, which is proven to promote the overall health, reducing the chances of potential infections.
The so-called best remedy for canker sores eliminates the toxins accumulated in the body and is proven to diminish the severity and reduce the healing time for the treatment of canker sores.
Can you get canker sores on your gums?
Yes, canker sores often appear on the gum line. This can become a real torture because solid food irritates and postpones the healing process.
This is why it is recommended to restrict chewing for 2-3 days and to consume soups and purees until the process of healing and regeneration progresses.
How to stop canker sore pain?
Most canker sore OTH medicines contain analgesic ingredients (acting to relieve pain).
They usually provide an immediate effect, however, their action is time-restricted and the discomfort reappears within 2-3 hours.
Another important thing to remember is that a canker sore medicine shouldn’t cost you a lot. Especially if you use natural ingredients or homemade recipes. The price difference is often caused those analgesic ingredients containing.
Does peroxide work on a canker sore?
Hydrogen peroxide rinse will provide mild antiseptic action, which will temporarily relieve the symptoms of canker sores. You can prepare a mixture of 1:1 water and 3% hydrogen peroxide solution and rinse your mouth several times a day.
How to deal with severe canker sores?
Rarely, canker sores can get infected. You may experience swelling, redness and even fever. If this happens, it is recommended to go to consult a dentist, as antibiotic treatment may be required.
You should not forget that not all the wounds or infections in the oral cavity are canker sores. Sometimes, they are an accompanying symptom of another disease. So when you have outbreaks that do not heal for 10-14 days, it is best to consult a specialist.
Everyone's skin is unique, and even if you have chosen the best product for your skin condition, the containing ingredients may still cause some irritation, burning sensation, rash or allergy.
Propolis mouthwash: A new beginning
Canker Sore Remedies – Baking Soda
Recurrent aphthous ulceration: vitamin B1, B2 and B6 status and response to replacement therapy.
Last update on 2019-06-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API