The best shampoo for seborrheic dermatitis treatment is the one that has two main characteristics: prevents hair loss and eliminates dandruff.
How to choose the best OTH medicated shampoo?
When looking for a medicated shampoo, it is highly recommended to choose a formula, specially developed for seborrheic dermatitis management, as normal shampoos won’t stop the spreading of the fungus.
- CLINICALLY PROVEN: Dandruff stays off your head & shoulders with this dandruff treatment shampoo...
- KETOCONAZOLE: This dandruff relief shampoo is made with ketoconazole 1%, an effective ingredient...
- ITCHY SCALP: Dandruff is caused when scalp-cells regenerate at an accelerated rate faster than...
If you are a seborrheic dermatitis sufferer, you have probably heard of Nizoral – one of the most popular anti-dandruff shampoos, available on the market. Nizoral controls the flaking, scaling, and itching, associated with seborrhoea.
This shampoo can be used only 2 times a week, unlike other seborrheic dermatitis shampoos that need to be used on a daily basis.
This thick seborrheic dermatitis shampoo creates a rich lather that rinses clean and leaves your hair smelling fresh.
Note that you shouldn’t use the shampoo if you have open wounds or active inflammations on your scalp!
According to seborrheic dermatitis patients, the first results can be observed after the second use.
- Below you can see the story of a patient with severe dandruff:
Nizoral cleared up most of the dandruff/fungus in only 2 months. I washed my hair every 3-4 days and by week 3-4, I’m about 50% flake free… by 2 months I’m 99% flake free.
- Another seborrheic dermatitis sufferer believes she managed to eliminate the acne bumps on the scalp and forehead thanks to Nizoral shampoo. As you can see, her hair looks thick and bump-free. Here’s how he uses the shampoo:
I usually apply a layer on (don’t scrub!) and let it dry for about 10-15 minutes and then gently scrub it off using warm water.
Here you can see the improvement of a patient, suffering severe flaking:
I used it 4-5 times (over a month) and it cleared my scalp almost completely.
What does Nizoral shampoo do?
Nizoral  destroys the fungus, causing dandruff. Ketoconazole, the active ingredient in Nizoral shampoo, binds to the natural protein of the hair so it keeps working for a longer period of time.
Ketoconazole is a strong antifungal medication, available in a variety of formulations for topical administration, such as creams and shampoos.
Why does Nizoral help with hair loss?
The active ingredient, ketoconazole, helps reduce scalp microflora and consequently may alleviate follicular inflammation that contributes to alopecia.
How long should I use Nizoral shampoo?
Nizoral shampoo contains 1% ketoconazole. If used twice a week, you can use it for up to 8 weeks or as directed by a dermatologist.
Can you use Nizoral shampoo on color-treated hair?
Nizoral can be safely used on color-treated, chemically processed, and gray hair.
Phat Shampoo & Conditioner
- NO MORE FLARE UPS! Prevent flare ups before they begin by getting to the ROOT of the problem.
- BEST SEBORRHEIC DERMATITIS and SEBORRHEIC KERATOSIS SCALP RELIEF - Organic and natural ingredients...
- pH BALANCED - By maintaining your natural pH balance, you are helping restore your natural hair and...
PHat company created their seborrheic dermatitis shampoo and conditioner set using Manuka Honey, Aloe Vera, and Coconut Oil to control dandruff with all-natural ingredients. The combination of organic and natural ingredients won’t provoke negative skin reactions which makes both products suitable for everyday use.
Both formulas contain no harmful chemicals and are pH-balanced, which means they won’t irritate the skin of the scalp, even if it is very sensitive. All Phat products are designed with pH 5.5 which is exactly the same as your skin’s.
Unlike other seborrheic dermatitis shampoos and conditioners, these aim to restore the natural moisture and oil levels of the scalp, which is an effective way to stop the flaking and discomfort.
Since both products contain no sulfates, this seborrheic dermatitis shampoo and conditioner do not lather as much as regular shampoos would. The products are also fragrance-free, which is an additional guarantee for you that they won’t provoke further seborrhoea flare-ups, not will they worsen your condition.
- A seborrheic dermatitis patient shares that the shampoo and conditioner combo works better than dermatologist and prescription products and cost much less:
After about 5 washes, my scalp itched less and I had less flakes. I’m continuing to use this shamp and cond combo for every wash and it seems to be getting better and better.
Puriya Sulfate Free Anti Dandruff Shampoo
- CLARIFY YOUR DRY SCALP ~ The best proprietary herbal blend of Tea Tree Oil, Arnica, Sage and...
- AWARD WINNING. TRY IT NOW - RISK-FREE ~ Awarded the "Family Tested Family Approved" seal of approval...
- DEEPLY HYDRATES SCALP AND HAIR ~ This shampoo hydrates even the driest scalp and most brittle,...
Puriya recently created their proprietary herbal blend of Tea Tree Oil, Arnica, Sage, and Rosemary in the form of anti-dandruff shampoo. The potent formula is getting more and more attention from patients, suffering dry, scaly scalp.
According to seborrheic dermatitis sufferers, the first improvements may be noticed after a couple of applications. The shampoo can be used daily for more severe conditions, many say it won’t irritate or dry out the scalp area. On the contrary, the shampoo helps moisturize the skin, while improving your scalp blood circulation.
Puriya manufacturers claim that after continued use it may even reduce hair loss. Unfortunately, we did not find patients reviews who confirmed this.
The most important about this Puriya shampoo is that it is free of sulfate, paraben, sodium chloride and fragrance, which are usually available in similar formulas. Some of these ingredients may even worsen the symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis.
Puriya Anti-dandruff shampoo is pH balanced, which will additionally help relieve the itching and discomfort.
The overall performance of Puriya seborrheic dermatitis shampoo is quite promising – almost 70% of all patient ranked it an excellent product,
- A patient couldn’t wear dark clothes because there were scales all over her clothes. After trying Puriya shampoo, the problem improved so much that she started to recommend it to friends:
After the second application my I noticed that the scales were not growing rapidly and the redness of my scalp was gone.
- A man says his wife (seborrheic dermatitis/eczema sufferer) previously had a number of flare-ups, typically every two to three months on her scalp and face. Now, she uses Puriya Shampoo in a combination with Puriya Mother of All Creams and successfully managed to alleviate all the symptoms, including itching, flaking, even acne:
Her skin is now all smooth and no more flaking! She is in love with these products and would highly recommend
- Another seborrheic dermatitis patient who decided to share her experience says she was diagnosed with the condition 18 months ago but couldn’t alleviate the disturbing symptoms even after trying doctor0prescribed treatments:
I’ve been using this product for about 3 weeks now. The first time I used this I left it in my hair for a minute or two, rinsed and used my regular conditioner and styled as usual. Just after the first used, my scalp and body felt so much better.
DHS Zinc Shampoo
- Calms irritated, inflamed skin
- Provides effective relief of itching and flaking
- Conditioning and healing formula
DHS shampoo is specially developed for those with itchy, scaly skin on the scalp and visibly greasy hair. Unlike other dermatitis shampoos, this one smells really nice, while it leaves the scalp and hair clean – it removes the waxy substance while providing effective relief of itching and flaking.
The effect, according to SD patients, lasts longer, compared to similar medicated shampoos, some need to use it only twice a week.
The formula is gentle and suitable for all skin types. However, DHS Zinc Shampoo is developed for the oily hair only, as it will dry out the normal or dry hair type.
It can be applied on color-treated hair, it won’t fade the color or make it less vivid.
What you’ll need to remember before using this shampoo is that you’ll have to shake the bottle before each use, as will help mix the ingredients thoroughly.
The active ingredient in the formula is 2% Zinc Pyrithione, which is proven to have antiseborrheic, antibacterial and antifungal properties. This ingredient also helps to prevent or relieve excessive secretions of the sebaceous glands. In rare instances, this ingredient may provoke skin irritation.
The most impressive aspect of this medicated shampoo is the satisfaction rate among seborrheic dermatitis sufferers.
- A long-time seborrheic dermatitis sufferer (over 30 years) has tried several prescriptions products to control the condition of the facial and scalp skin with little to no results. Then, he tried something that held the symptoms at bay for a very short period, so he desperately needed something more reliable. Here’s what happened when he started using DHS Zinc Shampoo:
I have been using this Zinc shampoo for only 2 months and even after the very first use, my dandruff was gone! I have not had to “check” my shoulders once since I started using this product.
- Another patient battling seborrheic dermatitis for at least three years was told to use pyrithione zinc shampoo to control her condition. Her doctor also told her to leave the shampoo for 5 minutes on the scalp every time she takes a shower. Here’s what she shared about her experience with this medicated shampoo:
I had a good chance of clearing it up, as yeast can’t survive in a zinc filled environment. This is a terrific product that has greatly helped subdue the condition.
Head & Shoulders Clinical Strength
- Calms irritated, inflamed skin
- Provides effective relief of itching and flaking
- Conditioning and healing formula
Head & Shoulders Clinical Strength is known for its’ strong anti-dandruff effect, providing relief from severe dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis. It is the #1 best-selling anti-dandruff shampoo in the USA.
If you are used to switching between different brands dandruff shampoos, there’s no way you haven’t tried Head & Shoulders product line.
The formula reduces the flakes, itch, and dryness, associated with seborrheic dermatitis, leaving the scalp well moisturized.
The active ingredient in Head & Shoulders Clinical Strength is Selenium Sulfide 1%. Selenium sulfide is good for treating scalp infections, such as seborrheic dermatitis but you can only use this shampoo twice a week, otherwise, you risk ‘losing’ the effect of your treatment.
A good feature of this anti-dandruff shampoo is that it doesn’t smell like sulfur at all. It has a light flowery/fruity scent, as described by people who are using it.
Another thing most seborrheic dermatitis sufferers appreciate is that Head & Shoulders Clinical Strength does not contain menthol, which is often a game-breaker for patients with scalp inflammation.
Head & Shoulders Clinical Strength should be applied to wet hair and left to work for about 3 minutes.
If you have natural curls,, this dandruff shampoo won’t take your curls out.
Almost 500 reviewers commented on the effect of this formula, more than 70% are extremely satisfied with the effect of Head & Shoulders Clinical Strength shampoo.
- A patient, suffering excessive dryness and flaking says the annoying seb derm symptoms completely disappeared after 2 weeks using Head & Shoulders Clinical Strength:
this product worked 100% for my dry/flaky scalp, hairline and sideburns
However, this shampoo didn’t manage to treat the dryness and flaking on his forehead and eyebrows.
- A review, written by a long time dandruff sufferer says this Head & Shoulders shampoo helped with the annoying flaking after 2 years of trial and errors:
Within 2 weeks of using this 3x week all of my dry patches went away. I no longer have an itchy scalp and I can finally run my fingers through my hair again without the fear of snow showers on my shoulders.
- Most people posted positive comments regarding the smell of this shampoo but unfortunately, there are also those who cannot stand its’ smell (remember that the product contains anti-dandruff medications, which may be unpleasant for people that are smell-sensitive):
t makes my hair smell BURNT like someone burned it with a lighter.
Head & Shoulders Itchy Scalp Care
- Head & Shoulders Classic Clean Anti-Dandruff shampoo fights flakes and leaves your scalp clean
- Head & Shoulders Clinical Strength Anti-Dandruff Shampoo provides relief from severe dandruff and...
- From the scalp care experts; the makers of America's #1 dandruff shampoo* (*based on volume sales)
This is another Head & Shoulders formula aiming to eliminate the flakes while leaving your scalp clean and refreshed. This anti-dandruff shampoo is supposed to hydrate both the hair shaft and hair follicle.
The potent formula contains Pyrithione Zinc 1% as an active ingredient. Pyrithione Zinc is the most popular treatment for dandruff and seborrheic dermatitis. It also has antibacterial properties and is effective against pathogens of the class of staphylococcus and streptococcus.
In the United States, zinc pyrithione is approved as a non-prescription external remedy for the treatment of dandruff.
The main feature of Head & Shoulders Itchy Scalp Care patients don’t like is the eucalyptus and mint available in the formula. Seborrheic dermatitis sufferers often complain about these ingredients, as they might increase the symptoms of itching and irritation once the skin integrity is impaired. But you can see a few comments written by people who very smell sensitive and their response to this anti-dandruff shampoo is quite positive:
This does have a light smell to it but its light enough I dont smell it constantly.
Patients with severe forms of seborrheic dermatitis claim 3 uses per week are enough to keep their condition under control. According to reviewers, the effect is visible even after the initial use of this anti-itch shampoo:
Unobtrusive pleasant scent, and took care of dandruff with one washing.
Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo
- ANTI DANDRUFF SHAMPOO: This dandruff treatment with active ingredient aloe vera leaf juice provides...
- DANDRUFF CAUSES: Causes of dandruff include dry skin, oily skin, psoriasis, allergies, an overgrowth...
- DANDRUFF TREATMENT: It is important to not simply wash away dandruff flakes, but to treat the source...
Selsun Blue is a great option if you are suffering seborrheic dermatitis and its common consequence – dandruff and inflammation. This anti-dandruff shampoo is one of the most affordable options when it comes to managing the annoying flaking.
As with other formulas, containing Selenium Sulfide, this one should be left on the scalp for at least 5 minutes before rinsing it.
People who tried Selsun Blue Dandruff Shampoo say it leaves a cooling sensation on the scalp. The formula is packed with Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, providing fast healing effect on the damaged skin.
Seborrheic dermatitis patients affected with scalp acne share their condition improved after using Selsun Blue shampoo. Unlike other products with Selenium Sulfide, this one can be used every day, as reported by multiple patients but this doesn’t mean that you can use it on children.
The overall performance of this anti-dandruff formula is quite promising – there are people using Selsun Blue for years:
This is the only shampoo that works for my seborrheic dermatitis on scalp – 3 washes and it’s all gone! Been using this for 5 years now and woudn’t change it for anything!
T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo by Neutrogena
- (pack of 2) 920485
If you have noticed coal tar has a good impact on your seb derm, you better try T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo by Neutrogena – it is packed with 0,5% coal tar and 2% Neutar Solubilized Coal Tar Extract.
The most impressive feature about this Neutrogena Therapeutic shampoo is the exceptionally high rating of the product and the positive comments written by both seborrheic dermatitis sufferers and those, affected with scalp dandruff.
Almost 90% rated T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo by Neutrogena an excellent product – something you can rarely see if you search for anti-dandruff shampoos.
Multiple comments inform that the formula is OK for everyday use.
Unfortunately, this dandruff shampoo smells very medicinal – something most people consider disturbing but it turns out this is the only negative aspect people discussed.
Sage Special Formula Shampoo By Maple Holistics
- Therapeutic Dandruff Solution: Pure anti dandruff shampoo balances flaky scalp by gently cleansing...
- Revive Dull Dry Hair: Intensify shine and luster with Moroccan Argan Oil Jojoba and Peach Kernel to...
- Improve Hair Texture: Our extra strength anti itch dry scalp treatment nourishes to reduce frizz and...
You might have heard about the effect of the sage herb on the scalp – it stimulates skin cell renewal and increases blood circulation in the scalp area. The herb is rich in calcium and vitamin A, which are essential for the cell regeneration process, which is often impaired by the effect of seborrheic dermatitis.
And even if you are one of those who don’t believe herbs and plant extracts may provide a positive effect for the condition of your skin or hair, this sage shampoo might prove you wrong.
The formula is paraben, sulfate, and silicon-free, which is highly appreciated by patients with more sensitive skin. You can see comments written by parents who saw great improvements after using this Sage Shampoo on their children with dermatitis or severe dandruff.
- This mother would definitely recommend Sage shampoo by Maple Hollistics, as it visibly improved the condition of her daughter’s scalp:
I left this on he’d hair for about 3 minutes as I massaged her scalp,left her hair as well scalp looking very healthy without the flakes left from dermatitis
- Below you can see the comment of a lady who is encouraging her boyfriend to try the formula, as she is indeed satisfied with her results:
I’ve tried dozens of high-end & supermarket products to help clean my hair and ease the itchiness, and the smell of my hair ahh, I cannot even begin to explain how refreshing my hair/scalp feels!
Even though the percentage of satisfied customers is very high, you could see several negative comments as well.
- Here’s the review of a woman who didn’t manage to eliminate her dandruff problem even after using the Sage shampoo for a while:
I shared a pic of what my scalp looked like after using this.
I’m very sad.
Zinc Therapy Soap by Derma Harmony
- Fragrance Free with Natural Ingredients in a Bar or Liquid (see other listing)
- Safe for Daily Use with Seborrheic Dermatitis, Dandruff, Acne, Fungal Conditions, Psoriasis, Diaper...
- 2% Pyrithione Zinc (ZNP) -
This Derma Harmony soap contains 2% Pyrithione Zinc (ZnP) – which has the effect on suppressing the Malassezia fungus and keep the symptoms of seborrheic dermatitis (including irritation, discomfort, itching, and redness) under control.
If you have seborrheic dermatitis and you haven’t tried washing your hair with a zinc soap bar, you might be missing the mild, yet the visibly positive effect of such treatment.
The product is available in the form of a soap bar or liquid soap, you can choose based on your personal preferences. Derma Harmony soap is absolutely safe for both adults and children – it is also fragrance-free and GMP-certified.
Among the 700 reviews written about its’s effect, more than 70% are highly positive. You can see multiple pictures of people who decided to share their success stories in their battles with dandruff and seborrhoea.
- The below picture shows the improvement of a woman, suffering inflamed rash/acne patch on her entire neck and jaw. Now, she no longer has such a problem:
The rash was totally gone in 6 weeks and never returned. I decided to order in bulk because this has been the only product that has helped heal my skin.
- A seb derm patient successfully controls the symptoms of her condition using this soap. The sad thing is she found this product after years of struggling:
This is the first product that has helped me keep it under control. My skin is brighter and I have a lot less peeling and redness.
Generally, people (especially seb derm sufferers) are very satisfied with the effect of this product. Even those, who tried other Pyrithione Zinc formulas before say they never had those positive effects:
I’ve even made it through three season changes and almost all the way through winter without a flare.
Zincon Medicated Dandruff Shampoo
- Zincon Medicated Dandruff Shampoo 8 Oz ( 6 Pack )
Patients suffering severe dandruff claim that after the 2nd or 3rd wash it definitely takes care of the itching, dandruff problem. It also leaves the hair easy to manage.
Another good option for the management of seb derm symptoms is Zincon Shampoo with 1% Pyrithione Zinc. You might be surprised to know that there are people using this exact dandruff shampoo for more than 20 years now because it remained the best option, eliminating the flaking and leaving the skin of the scalp clean and well-nourished.
It is suitable for people with very sensitive skin of the scalp, it even improves scalp acne, caused by inflammation.
Not everybody tolerates the medicinal smell of this shampoo, which seems to be the only downside about this shampoo.
Note that people recommend Amazon for buying this product – the price is usually cheaper compared to drugstores.
Tea Tree Special Formula Shampoo By Maple Holistics
- 【Invigorating Daily Shampoo】our best selling tea tree shampoo is now in a large family sized...
- 【Relieve Itchy and Flaky Skin】 The skin healing properties help reduce the effects of dandruff...
- 【Money Back Guarantee】Our personal care products come with a risk-free refund policy. This...
Tea Tree Oil Shampoo by Maple Hollistics is another top choice anti-dandruff solution, especially if you are seeking for a more natural alternative for controlling scalp flaking.
It is a formula suitable for both men and women, the long-lasting familly-sized bottle will nourish and protect your hair from the disturbing seb derm symptoms.
Thea tree oil, which is the active ingredient in this anti-dandruff shampoo, has a great impact in reducing the irritation, itching, and redness, accompanying the skin condition.
Tea tree oil acts as a strong anti-inflammatory agent, providing skin-healing properties. The greatest feature of tea tree oil is that is safe and effective on all skin types, it won’t aggravate the condition, nor will cause potential side effects, unlike most chemically-derived compounds in seb derm shampoos.
Tea Tree Oil Shampoo is Maple Hollistics’ best-selling formula so far. The price is quite affordable, while the amount you get will be enough for long-term use.
This tea tree shampoo can be used every day, as it is gentle and makes your hair and scalp feel good.
The online rating of the product is amazing – more than 80% of all people managed to finally fix their dandruff problems (note that such performance can be rarely seen when looking for anti-dandruff solutions!)
A lady left a comment, summarizing all the positive features of Tea Tree Oil Shampoo by Maple Hollistics.
- She was a long-time dandruff sufferer and wanted a formula that wasn;t tested on animals. The perfect solution for her criteria turned out to be Maple Hollistics Tea Tree Shampoo:
First thing – holy lather. You do NOT need to use a ton of this product. My hair goes well past my shoulders, and about a quarter sized dollop did the job…and quite well. Second thing – squeaky clean. You will know pretty quickly that there’s no extra unnecessary products, because your hair will feel stripped down clean while you’re rinsing. Third thing: WOW, my hair is SO soft. That was an unexpected ben
Most seborrheic dermatitis shampoos contain one of the following ingredients:
- Selenium Sulfide
- Coal Tar
- Salicylic Acid
- Zinc Pyrithione
All of these provide a strong antibacterial effect and, most importantly, provide antiseborrheic properties. This means that each of these ingredients keeps the functioning of the sebaceous glands under control and detains the dandruff formation.
Some SD shampoos are sold with medical prescription but there are medicated shampoos for seborrheic dermatitis that can be bought over-the-counter.
When looking for a medicated shampoo, it is recommended to choose a formula, which is labeled for seborrheic dermatitis management.
Most medicated shampoos for seborrheic dermatitis suggest leaving the formula on the scalp/hair for a specific length of time to allow the ingredients to work.
- Each scalp shampoo uses different ingredients, which react in a different way with the sebaceous glands. If for someone, the best SD shampoo works great, for you it might even worsen the condition. This is why you need to be prepared for trials and errors until you find the formula that works best for your scalp.
- The proper application of your seborrheic dermatitis shampoo plays a major role when it comes to controlling your condition. The basic rule is to always follow the instructions written on the product label.
Usually, as with any other shampoo, you should apply your SD shampoo to wet hair and thoroughly massage it into your scalp. The procedure should be performed gently, without using pressure.
Most SD shampoos shouldn’t be rinsed immediately after applying them to the scalp – you need to let the shampoo sit on your scalp for about five minutes before rinsing it out.
- If you are suffering severe dandruff, it is recommended to use your dandruff shampoo once every one to two days. This is how you will keep the flaking under control. After your dandruff subsides, you can use your SD shampoo only twice or once (if your hair is coarse) per week.
Remember that this doesn’t refer to Ketoconazole shampoos – they can only be used twice a week
- Swap between two dandruff shampoos if you notice that the shampoo you’re using is not as effective anymore. Make sure these shampoos use different ingredient types – switching between the different active compounds will not let your scalp become resistant to the current treatment
Even if you have found the perfect anti-dandruff shampoo that works great on your scalp, it may stop providing the same effect after a few months.
If you notice your seborrheic dermatitis shampoo is no longer as effective. this is the result of the Malassezia yeast’s function. Yeasts tend to create a protective shield or biofilm that interferes with the function of the active ingredients in your shampoo for the treatment of dandruff.
Last update on 2019-08-04 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API