Normally, lip care is pretty effortless. We take care of our teeth, apply lip balm or lipstick and we are good to go. But, there are times when our attention shifts, usually when we realize we feel pain or find an inflammation of some kind on our lips.
There are a couple of things about lips you should know in order to get the best lip care you can.
Similar to body care basics, the first rule should be HYDRATE.
Like other parts of our body, the skin of the lips is made of epidermis and dermis. However, unlike the other parts of the body, the dermis of the skin on the lips doesn’t have any hairs or sweat gland.
What this means is that this area is directly exposed to the environmental conditions with almost no protection. The lubrication is absent and often is a cause of chapped lip or even severely chapped lips.
This fact means that we need to rehydrate or lubricate the lips ourselves.
Table of Contents
- 1 Lip care recipes
- 2 How to make lip gloss
- 3 Winter lip care
- 4 Home remedy for lip sunburn
- 5 Lip balm recipes
- 6 Lipgloss recipe
- 7 Chocolate lip gloss recipe
- 8 Vaseline – a great lips moisturizer
Tips that help:
- Drink plenty of water, thoroughly hydrate your skin, including lips.
- Avoid harsh weather. If this is impossible, make sure you always protect your lips by applying a lip balm.
- Try using the lip balms regularly. If you wait until you have chapped lips, the recovery will take longer.
- Try not to lick your lips or remove the skin with your fingers. It irritates the skin and slows down any efforts we invest in lip care.
- Make sure you take vitamin supplements. Often, cracks in the corner of the mouth indicate a deficiency of Vitamin B2.
Start off with a lip scrub recipe:
1 teaspoon of honey
1 teaspoon of baking soda
Mix honey and baking ingredients until the mass resembles a paste.
Apply the mix on your lips and leave it on for a couple of minutes.
Gently rub the lips.
Wash of with lukewarm water
Let the lips dry out and then apply olive oil. It will make the lips hydrated.
There is also a recipe that is very simple, too. Apply unsalted butter on your lips occasionally. That’s it. It has the same effect as the olive oil.
Lip care recipes
Chapped lips remedy
A simple chapped lips remedy can help you heal cracked lips fast.
Before you get in a situation to have to prepare a chapped lips remedy, try drinking plenty of water and protecting your lips at all times with a good quality lip balm. However, avoid flavored kinds, especially ones that have a citrus base (lemon, orange etc) which will irritate the lips even more. Avoid low-quality lipsticks, you would be surprised what a difference a more expensive brand can make.
There are a few things you can do to keep your lips soft and nourished all year long.
Start with mixing a bit of honey and baking soda. Apply this mix on the lips and rub it in gently. This paste will remove the dead skin cells and the peeling skin and leave the lips very soft. After this, apply a lip balm.
I also find applying only honey to be very good. If your lips are severely chapped, it might cause a tingling sensation but don’t worry about that! Honey is the best natural antiseptic and cleanser you can find around, it won’t harm the skin one bit. Its ingredients will penetrate the skin and nourish the lips wonderfully.
Applying good old Vaseline is very effective also. Apply it before going to bed and your lips will be soft and healed in the morning.
Here are a couple of good tips sent to us by our readers:
- If you’re in a hurry and notice that your lips are dry and flaky. What I do is carry a mini toothbrush in my handbag(you get these free on an airplane).In the restroom, I give them a quick brush on them and apply my favorite lip gloss for beautiful lips in a flash.
- A remedy for cracked/dry lips: Take few apple seeds, grind them and add a little bit of water to make it a paste. Rub it on cracked/dry lips before going to bed at night.
How to make lip gloss
So, you want to learn how to make lip gloss?
The best thing about making a homemade lip gloss is that not only you save money, but you can make it so it what you really want and have tons of fun while doing it!
You will Love Homemade Lip Gloss
Even women who are not a fan of lipstick still love lip gloss. A lip gloss can provide just enough color and shine to look naturally healthy without appearing made up. Used on top of lipstick also gives you a toned down color but the moisture you need to look fresh and alive.
A good lip gloss can very expensive and often you do not get very much more your money. Learning how to make homemade lip gloss will not only save you money but it will you give the opportunity to make a lip gloss that is unique and perfect for you.
Use Homemade Lip Gloss to Protect Your Lips
Lip gloss not only makes your lips look better, it makes them feel better by helping to maintain a healthy level of moisture.
Dry lips not only look bad, they feel bad. If you are prone to chapped lips you will love making your own homemade lip gloss because you can add just the right ingredients in amounts that are perfect for your lips.
You will want to try out a few recipes that other women like and then as you become more familiar with how to make lip gloss you can add your own bit of creativity to the mix and come up with something unique.
Select Your Base
Most homemade lip gloss recipes begin with a base of either Vaseline or Beeswax. If you are looking for extra moisture you will want to use Vaseline or petroleum jelly.
When you’re just learning how to make lip gloss, Vaseline is a good start; it is not simple to use, and unlike beeswax, it doesn’t require any additional equipment. Vaseline and beeswax will give you a slippery smooth lip gloss.
A beeswax base will make a lip gloss that is firmer and more of a lip balm. It offers excellent protection from the sun, wind, and weather.
Next – Get Creative!
Using Vaseline or beeswax as your base, add ingredients for flavor, extra moisture, aroma or whatever you want to try to turn a generic homemade lip gloss into a one of a kind for you. Here are a few recipes to get you started.
Here is a Really Easy Homemade Lip Gloss Recipe
Honey Lip Balm
- 1 tsp beeswax
- 1 tsp of honey
- 2 tsp almond oil
Melt the beeswax in the microwave. Heat the ingredients in small increments of time so as not to overheat. Combine ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to blend completely. Pour into a small pot and let cool until set.
Mint Lip Gloss
Melt 1 Tablespoon of Vaseline or petroleum jelly in the microwave as in the previous recipe. Add 2-3 drops of peppermint to taste. Pour in a pot. Let cool and set.
Other ingredients to try:
- Cocoa powder
- Flavored Drink Crystals
- Sweet Almond Oil
- Peppermint Essential Oil
- Coconut Oil
- Vitamin E
- Crushed Rose Petals
- Aloe Vera
Adding oil base ingredients will add moisturizing properties to your homemade lip gloss. Vitamin E and Aloe Vera will promote healing and add anti-inflammatory properties. Mix up a lip gloss that is exactly what you need right now. You can always make something different next time!
Winter lip care
Protect your lips during the time of harsh weather conditions and cold!
Winter lip care is a must in an overall lip care regime. Harsh weather, wind, and cold turn the soft lips into unkissable, chapped lips that not only are visually unappealing, but very painful in some cases.
Apart from the frequent use of a lip balm, here are a few more tips you could apply to keep your lips nourished and healthy during the winter period.
Winter Care For Your Lips: Save Your Lips
Lips are a sensitive body organ and the fact that we use them for speaking, eating and smiling, it is advisable to know the ways to take care of lips.
It is seen that seasons affect the lips as they are exposed to the elements directly and like hair need a lot of care.
During winters, it’s largely the lips that bear the brunt. As lips have extremely sensitive skin, they appear cracked, bleed and seem to be unnaturally red, as the mercury drops.
Try out some of the methods given below to make lips look beautiful in winter.
Around 92 percent of women use lipstick each day, but the truth is that they are still more likely to apply an eye cream at night than to reach for a specialist lip product at night. However, there comes a time when this much-overlooked area needs special attention, especially in winter.
The best way to kiss dry, chapped lips goodbye is with a little gentle exfoliation and moisturizing.
Try out rubbing lip cream with a light toothbrush topped with lip cream, so that the fine cracked particles on your lips are removed completely.
To relax the lip, mash a quarter of ripe papaya to a juicy paste. Then, lie down on a towel and apply a generous amount to the lips and the skin around the lips. Leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes, rinse it off and apply lip balm. Papaya contains exfoliating enzymes and can help to soften and refine lip lines.
If your lips are prone to dryness and cracking, check out daily maintenance creams with skin-exfoliating AHAs (alpha-hydroxy-acids), moisturizers, Vitamins A and E and an SPF 15, which has been shown in trials to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles on the surface of the lips in one month.
Lips are one of the most exposed areas of skin, yet they have an extremely thin outer layer and few sebaceous glands.
Centrally heated offices (which can be particularly dry) and whipping winter winds both take a toll on your lips. If one is going skiing or to hotter climates, remember that lips contain no melanin and can quickly become badly burnt without protection. So, one has to be extremely careful in such cases.
If these tips are followed, lips will remain supple throughout the year and add to the face’s attraction.
by Michael Douglas
Home remedy for lip sunburn
Home remedy for sunburn might be your first option for an immediate sunburn relief. Excessive exposure to the sun is nothing to take lightly.
Sunburn usually occurs after 15 or more minutes of exposure to UV lights. There is a time frame, usually between 5-40 hours when the pain starts.
To prevent sunburn and sunburn itching and peeling, you can try this home remedy for sunburn:
- Peel and mash 3-4 apricots.
- Apply the mix on your face and leave on for 15 minutes.
- Wash off with lukewarm water.
Once the skin is red and irritated, you can be sure that the skin has suffered damage. There are no ways to cure sunburn, but you can apply some sunburn relief remedies to help the skin cool down a bit.
Take a long shower adjusting the water to almost cool temperature. Once you are done taking a shower, gently tap it to absorb the water, do not rub it as this will increase the irritation.
Lip balm recipes
They smell good, they taste good, and they nourish your lips at the same time!
Lip balm recipes are very easy to make. Their main purpose is to protect the outer layer of the lips although some of them taste and smell good too.
Applying lip balm regularly is a significant part of lip care, simply a must. Chapped lips can be prevented with regular use of lip balm.
You can choose between homemade lip balms or you can use store-bought ones. When you opt-in for the latter, keep this in mind: propylene glycol, a derivative of petroleum used in skin care, and a key ingredient of lip balms, is also used in detergents and in hair conditioners but it carries certain risks.
With homemade lip balm recipes, you know the ingredients you are using and can be as creative as you want.
You can use different oils to make it smell different. Want a refreshing feel? Use peppermint oil in it. Want a warm fragrance? Use vanilla oil. You get the point 🙂
Almost all lip balms recipes have one ingredient in common. It is beeswax. Beeswax is a natural ingredient, a perfect emulsifier. What it does it that it penetrates the epidermis while locking in the moisture. It also creates a protective shield that protects the skin from drying.
- As I mentioned, you will be using beeswax. Since it is in a solid state, you will need to melt it. You can either use a double boiler, a microwave-safe container or a saucepan. A double boiler is probably the most efficient and is easy to use. When melting it in a microwave, place it in a microwave-safe container no longer than 1-2 minutes. The saucepan can be used also. When the beeswax melts, remove it and constantly stir. Do not keep it on the stove.
- Contains the Finest Imported Beeswax.
- Great for Dreadlocks and other Styling Needs.
- Seals Ends and Conditions your Hair.
- A lip balm container – a small, clean plastic container will do. Use the ones that have a lid so that it stays fresh longer. You could also use a small jar.
Keep the prepared lip balm in a cool, dry place.
- Tin Size 43mm x 15mm 1.69 inch x 0.59 inch
- MagnaKoys Tin Colexion Quantity Sets
- Empty Tins Have Multiple DIY Uses
This same equipment is used in the preparation of lip gloss recipes so you don’t have to buy additional items to experiment with lip gloss.
On to lip balm recipes…
These recipes are helpful for both chapped lips and severely chapped lips. Apply a generous layer whenever you can, it can’t harm the lips, only help.
Apple lip balm
- 4 tablespoons of beeswax
- 5 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of glycerin
- 3 tablespoons of apple juice
- Melt the beeswax and slowly add the rest of the ingredients.
- While still warm, pour the mass into a container and leave to solidify
- This particular lip balm will stay fresh for a few days. Use it often during the day
When I mention glycerin (glycerol or glycerine), I have to point something out.
Glycerin is a strong emollient, meaning it softens the skin. Its molecules capture or draw the moisture out of the air and keep it locked. This is perfect for lip balm recipes, as this is the purpose of any lip balm: to keep the lips moisturized and soft.
However, the same way it draws the moisture out of the air, it does the same to the lips if it is used undiluted. The ones you can buy online and in stores are usually already diluted. If not, make sure there is a minimum of 3 parts water added to 1 part glycerin. When placed on the skin, pure, concentrated glycerin can create blisters.
Citrusy Lip Balm
- 1 teaspoon of apricot kernel oil
- 1 teaspoon of calendula oil
- 1 teaspoon of beeswax
- Lemon, lime, or orange essential oil. Choose the one you like, you will need a few drops.
- Melt the beeswax and add the apricot and calendula oils
- Stir the whole time so the mass is consistent
- Remove from heat, keep stirring and let it cool down a bit
- Add the oil of choice and stir a bit more
- Pour into a plastic container or jar and store properly
Minty cocoa lip balm
- 1 oz beeswax
- 1.5 oz cocoa butter
- 1 oz beeswax
- 1.5 oz shea butter
- 01 oz. pure Vitamin E
- 3-5 drops of peppermint oil
- Melt the beeswax and remove from heat while constantly stirring.
- Melt the cocoa and shea butter
- Mix the melted beeswax, shea, and cocoa butter
- When the mass is consistent, add Vitamin E and stir a bit longer
- Finally, add the peppermint oil, stir and pour into a container
When you prepare your own lip gloss recipes, not only you know exactly what you put in them, you are able to custom make them so they have a flavor or fragrance of your choice.
Lip gloss is a part of every woman’s lip care routine. They can be shimmery, translucent, colored. Their purpose is not only to beautify the lips and make them appear luscious and kissable, it protects the lips from drying.
Preparation of these recipes require the same equipment used for the preparation of lip balm recipes:
Double boiler or a universal double boiler insert, saucepan or a microwave safe container. You will also need a tin container that you can store it in.
- 【Superior Quality】- The double boiler pot made of stainless steel, easy to clean, more healthy...
- 【Universal Compatibility】- Small double boiler fits most pots and its width, length and height...
- 【Multiple Uses】- Perfect for melting butter, cheese, candy, chocolate,etc. Also used a normal...
- Screw Top Round Steel Tin Cans- Durable aluminum.Healthcom screw-top lids Screw Top Round Steel Tin...
- IT CAN - Elimnates risk of melting or leaking. hallow containers with press-top cover made of tin...
- Perfect for DIY lip balms, pills, party favors, candies, mints, vitamins, or to include in gifts....
Honey Citrus Lip Gloss
- 7-8 tsp. sweet almond oil
- 2 tsp. beeswax
- 1 Vitamin E capsule
- 1 tsp. honey
- 5 drops citrus flavoring or essential oil (we like lime)
- Microwave-safe container with a lid
- Cosmetic/balm container with a lid
- Melt the sweet almond oil and beeswax together in the microwave safe container for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the microwave, and pierce the vitamin E capsule with a pin or tip fo a knife, and squirt into the mixture.
- Whisk the contents of the Vit E capsule, honey, and flavoring, into the oil mixture, continuing to whisk until set.
- Spoon your new lip gloss into a small, balm container with tight lid.
This lip gloss recipe is pretty much the perfect recipe I have seen lately. It contains almond oil and Vitamin E. Why is this significant?
Almond oil is an emollient, like glycerin. It locks in the moisture and keeps it there, leaving the lips soft and hydrated.
Vitamin E is a powerful antioxidant that helps the skin heal and remains healthy. These two are a great combination. Your lips will be protected from free radicals and nourished at the same time.
LEMON LIP GLOSS
- 1 tsp Honey
- 1 T Vitamin E Oil
- 1 tsp. of Aloe Vera
- 2 tsp of grated beeswax
- 1 T pure almond extract
- 6 drops of Lemon essential oil
- Melt beeswax, remove from heat and while constantly stirring
- Add honey, Aloe Vera, Almond extract, Vitamin E.
- Add the Lemon essential oil last.
Aloe vera gel is widely used and known for its potent medicinal qualities. It is used in skin care products as it a great anti-inflammatory agent.
Chocolate lip gloss recipe
1 1/2 teaspoon grated cocoa butter
1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon grated chocolate
1/8 teaspoon of vitamin E oil
Combine grated cocoa butter, coconut oil and vitamin E oil in a double boiler or microwave. Heat it up until the ingredients have melted and combined.
Add grated chocolate and stir into the mix until well blended.
Use a small container (previously washed well and dried) and pour the mix into it. Let it cool down.
What I like about this lip gloss recipe is that it is not only, well, glossy, but has some really nourishing ingredients in it. Gloss plus moisture, that to me makes a perfect lip gloss. Both coconut oil and cocoa butter ooze with moisture. Thanks to their fatty content, the moisture is locked in to provide for extended effect.
Chocolate adds more nourishment as well as antioxidants also added by Vitamin E.
Vaseline – a great lips moisturizer
Dry skin runs in my family, so it’s not surprising that my skin is ashy and rough. When my grandmother told me about how she took care of her dry skin, I was more than a little surprised. She told me Vaseline was one of the best ways to hydrate dry skin. I had always thought Vaseline was just something my mother slapped on my little brother’s behind when he had a diaper rash. So, that night I tested my grandmother’s theory. In a matter of minutes, my skin was smooth and soft. Vaseline is very rich, so you only need to apply a small amount. If you apply too much, your skin will appear oily and greasy. Also, make sure you rub it well into the skin. Vaseline usually works best right after you’ve taken a shower and are ready to go to bed. That way, it has a chance to sink into the skin. Vaseline works really well for me, and I hope this helps those who have dry skin.
- Vaseline Petroleum Jelly Original is clinically proven to help heal dry, damaged skin
- Vaseline Petroleum Jelly provides dry skin relief and protects minor cuts
- Made with 100% pure petroleum jelly. Purity is guaranteed with our triple-purified formula
Last update on 2018-12-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API