Did you know that the steam bath has not only a cleansing but also a detoxifying and rejuvenating effect on your facial skin? See what are the additional benefits you can get from this relaxing procedure, you can safely perform at home.
Table of Contents
- 1 What does a steam facial do?
- 2 Is steaming bad for your face?
- 3 Is it good to steam your face? Why?
- 4 How often to steam the face?
- 5 Can steam get rid of pimples?
- 6 Which essential oils are good for steaming your face?
- 7 how to steam your face?
What does a steam facial do?
The facial steam bath is a necessity to maintain the fresh appearance of the skin.
It has strong healing effects, promotes skin hydration, deep cleansing and nourishing.
The heat induces sweating, thus opens the pores and speeds up blood circulation, preparing the skin for subsequent curative or cosmetic procedures. Steaming is very beneficial for people with acne-prone skin, causing blackheads and whiteheads.
The use of steam as a part of the beauty routine optimizes the effectiveness of the cosmetic products used (crams, serums, lotions).
Is steaming bad for your face?
The procedure is considered very safe, pleasing and relaxing. However, steaming procedures are not recommended for everyone. Do not use facial steamers if you have any of the following conditions:
Something very important is to never use a facial steamer for more than 20 minutes. Also, do not steam directly at the eyes and other sensitive areas. When treating the face with steam, always keep your eyes closed.
Is it good to steam your face? Why?
The steam bath has multiple beneficial effects on the skin. Exposing your skin to water steam activates its natural processes.
Benefits of steaming
- Provides in-depth cleanse
The steam bath is known for its cleansing properties, which can be enhanced by the use of a few drops of the proper essential oil. If you have oily skin that is prone to imperfections, the steam bath is a very appropriate option for you.
A steam facial can be performed once a week, and your skin will reward you with a healthier and radiant look. The reason for this lies in the ability of the steam to open the pores and clean them from accumulated toxins and bacteria. So tissues are regenerated, saturated with oxygen and your skin will shine again.
- It is relaxing
This therapy is the easiest and quickest way to shake the accumulated tension during the day and improve not only your physical but also your mental condition.
To increase the anti-stress effect, complete your home spa treatment by covering your face with a warm wet cloth dampened with a few drops of lavender oil for at least 10 minutes.
- Prepares the skin for products/promotes better absorption of useful ingredients
In addition to activating microcirculation, reaching the bottom layers of the skin, water steaming provides restorative treatment that will make the cosmetic creams you use even more beneficial.
How often to steam the face?
Steam facial should not be performed more than once a week, as the procedure makes the skin more vulnerable to breakouts and infections. Two procedures per week are recommended if the pores are particularly clogged (until the condition of the skin improves).
Can steam get rid of pimples?
Warm steam helps open up pores for deep cleansing, it indeed softens blemishes on the skin, however, the procedure itself won’t make the pimples disappear.
What facial steaming does is softening the impurities, sebum, dead skin cells and bacteria so they can be easily extracted from the pores.
Additionally, most home facial steamers provide the option to add essential oils or herbs to your steaming bath. Most of them have strong antibacterial properties, thus preventing further breakouts and providing even deeper cleansing of the skin.
Which essential oils are good for steaming your face?
It depends on the purpose of steaming. Since steaming is not recommended for people with excessively dry and sensitive skin, those of you with normal and oily skin can benefit from facial steaming procedures with essential oils in various ways.
Below’s a list of the most commonly used essential oils and their purposes:
Lavender oil is often present in cosmetic products and especially in those that are intended to soothe skin irritations. It is also great for acne-prone skin as it fights the bacteria that cause inflammation while reducing the severity and requency of skin breakouts.
Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil contains antifungal and antibacterial properties that reduce inflammation and the formation of pimples. If the skin is extremely sensitive, avoid adding this particular essential oil to the water or add a small amount of coconut oil.
This oil has an incredible citrus flavor and strong antibacterial properties. It has proven a calming effect on the skin and may help eliminate dark spots and pimples. It is also suitable in combination with other essential oils such as coconut, jojoba and olive oil.
Rosemary has the ability to help the skin secrete the excess sebum. Oily skin and acne often occur together, which is why these conditions can be successfully treated with rosemary oil.
In addition, the oil has an anti-inflammatory action that reduces redness of the skin.
This oil is rich in vitamin A, which helps repair the skin cells. Lemongrass oil also contains vitamin E, helping to improve the skin’s condition by moisturizing the surface layer of the skin, thus reducing the scarring resulting from acne.
how to steam your face?
Steps + Things Needed
- Before the steaming procedure, the facial area should be thoroughly cleaned. Use your favorite soap or face wash, massage it gently into the skin and wash the face with lukewarm water. Pat dry, then turn your steeaming device on.
- Some devices require more time to warm up, so wait until the steam starts emitting. Keep your face about 12 inches above the nozzle or above the cone in order to perform the procedure as gentle as possible, as higher temperatures can irritate the skin.
- Usually, steaming takes no more than 15 minutes.However, when your face gets used to the temperature, you can increase the steaming time,depending on the tolerance of your skin. Pat dry and you are almost ready.
- After switching off your device, this is the best moment to exfoliate the skin, as your skin pores are open and all the impurities (such as dead skin cells and makeup residue) can be easily removed.
- You can apply your favorite cream or lotion so that the skin can be deeply moisturized. The positive effect can be noticed immediately – facial steaming will give you a fresh, youthful, radiant appearance.
Yout skin is unique.It has its'own needs and characteristics and may get irritated if you don't treat it properly. In order to avoid potential skin reactions, such as burning sensation, rash, allergy or increased skin sensitivity, use your beauty device carefully, according to the instructions indicated!